Author Topic: Disappearing family - Henry O'Neill and Sarah Convery.  (Read 1543 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Disappearing family - Henry O'Neill and Sarah Convery.
« on: Tuesday 16 March 21 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, looking for some help in trying to track down a disappearing family. What I have so far:

Henry O'Neill married Sarah Convery on 25th January 1861 at the R.C. chapel of Lavey, county Derry. Witnesses Bernard Lagan and Eliza Noher (? unsure of the transcription on that last one).

From what I can see, Henry and Sarah seem to settle in the townland of Rocktown. The catholic baptismal records show the following children, all baptised in Lavey:

Patrick (bap. 17th Nov 1861)
Charles (bap. 17th May 1863)
Michael (bap. 26th May 1864) - residence given as Dreenan

Sarah Anne (bap. 22 Sep 1876) - residence given as Rocktown

Obviously that >10 year gap is notable, but I've yet to find any local births that fill in the gap. Based on other researching I've done, I think it's possible there are some missing records round the early 1870s.

After that 1876 record, the entire family seem to fall off the map. I can find no local death record for either Henry or Sarah, nor any further mention of their children. There are no Henry O'Neills listed in the Rocktown Griffiths valuation or the revisions, and while reference to one does appear in Dreenan in 1873, I'm not sure it's the same man. He does take over land from a Michael O'Neill, so I suppose the related child's name may be relevant.

So that's what I have. I'm wondering if the family may have emigrated. They seem to have a link back to the main-line of my own family tree, so I'd be very interested in getting them placed.

Thanks in advance for any help!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing family - Henry O'Neill and Sarah Convery.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why you had difficulty but using GRONI's index I found quite a few births in Magherafelt district (mother- Convery)-
William ONeill (30 Apr.1866)
Margaret Oneill (1 Nov.1867)
James O'Neill (1 May 1868)
John O'Neill (22 May 1870)
John Oneill (1 July 1871)
Bridget O'Neill (10 Dec.1873)
Francis O'Neill (3 Jan.1875)
Sarah O'Neill (22 Sept.1876)

There could be others but using Irish Genealogy site you will be able to verify these all belong to the same family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 20:06 GMT (UK) »
You say you can’t trace the family after 1876 but is this not some of them in 1901 & 1911 (in Rocktown):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Rocktown/Rocktown/1542968/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Rocktown/Rocktown/609256/

A couple of probate abstracts:

O'Neill Stafford of Rocktown Bellaghy county Londonderry farmer died 10 February 1945 Administration Belfast 29 September to Mary Ann O'Neill spinster. Effects £315 13s. 4d.

O'Neill Mary Ann of Rocktown Bellaghy county Londonderry spinster died 13 May 1951 at the Mid Ulster Hospital Magherafelt county Londonderry Probate Londonderry 15 October to Arthur Crilly and John Carmichael farmers. Effects £433 13s. 8d.

Sarah O’Neill death in 1916:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05239/4451611.pdf
Elwyn

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hey all, thanks for the replies!

Aghadowey/Heywood, can I ask where you searched that index? I mostly use the Irish Genealogy website and sadly they haven't transcribed most of the mother's surnames (they just appear as N/A) so they are not easily searchable. Other than that, I've been mostly using FindMyPast... it seems like their record collections are spottier than I first realised!

Elwyn, that is a different O'Neill family sadly. Sarah McErlane married Stafford O'Neill in 1855 at Greenlough. Stafford the elder died in the 1890s, that's the rest of his family in the 1901/1911 censuses.

However, now that I have a few more children to check up on, I should hopefully be able to trace where the family ended up!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Francis also died shortly after birth- probably why no baptisms for him & Bridget-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1875/020638/7240861.pdf

John born 1870 also died young- probably 1870 as there's a possibly infant death.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hey all, thanks for the replies!

Aghadowey/Heywood, can I ask where you searched that index? I mostly use the Irish Genealogy website and sadly they haven't transcribed most of the mother's surnames (they just appear as N/A) so they are not easily searchable. Other than that, I've been mostly using FindMyPast... it seems like their record collections are spottier than I first realised!

However, now that I have a few more children to check up on, I should hopefully be able to trace where the family ended up!  :)

Irish genealogy - you just have to go through the births (opening each one) and match them with the parents. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Irish genealogy - you just have to go through the births and match them with the parents. :)

Sorry, I should have been clearer -  I meant Aghadowey's initial search using the mother's maiden name as the search parameter. Is it direct on the GRONI site? It'd make things a lot easier if I knew how to use that!