Author Topic: Missing Mother & Two Daughters - Rackenford/Puddington  (Read 618 times)

Offline issyb2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Mother & Two Daughters - Rackenford/Puddington
« on: Wednesday 17 March 21 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a missing mother and her two daughters.  The only information I have is the following:

Mary Heywood (nee Moore) born ? Rackenford, Devon (she was mentioned as of this parish on the banns entry, which I know doesn't mean that she was actually from there, it could have been a small village on the outskirts)

m. Nathaniel Heywood (bapt. 12.02.1768 Rackenford, died 31.10.1803 Rackenford). 

They had two girls: Betty (bapt. 14.07.1800 Rackenford) and Mary (bapt. 21.02.1804 Rackenford) - I have the entries for these.

Burial index register and will for Nathaniel was Puddington but died in Rackenford. In his will, there is no mention of his wife or children except that, after he had given money to everyone else in the village he mentions ‘I likewise give to Nathaniel Heywood to children of Rackenford 20 pounds each and John and Thomas Heywood their uncles to be trust for them.  If these two were his children, he doesn't even mention then by their names which I find is odd as he was alive when they were born.

Nathaniel did have two brothers called John & Thomas.  He also had a nephew (Thomas’ son) who married late in life with no children of his own but he wasn't born until 1806 so I know it's not him.

The only Mary Moore of Rackenford I can find was born. 1743 – this would have made her 55/56 when she married and around 60 when she had the girls!  There are some many marriages and deaths for a ‘Mary Heywood’ in a 5 mile radius of Rackenford, I can't even pin point her!

It would be really good to find these three as I have been looking for some years now.  I have spoken to the Church Warden of Puddington and he has nothing, not even a burial record for Nathaniel (even though I gave him a copy of the burial index entry!)

Is there any way of finding out if there was a trust, did they have such things?  Or where else I can look to find them.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Mother & Two Daughters - Rackenford/Puddington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 21 02:19 GMT (UK) »
The will I transcribed of Nathaniel Heywood sounds very much like that of a bachelor, who is leaving bequests for this extended family and friends.
He is of Puddington, and the will was written on November 30th 1803, and proved on March 7th 1804.
As you point out, he does not mention his wife, (she could have been dead of course), or any children specifically.
The only direct relationship of his given is that of Elizabeth, his sister, married to George Mortimer.
The only marriage I could find between that of an Elizabeth Heywood and George Mortimer was 2.2.1751 at Exeter.
If this is the same people, she may have been born about 1730, so this Nathaniel may have been about the same age.
Unfortunately, there is no indication as to the age of Nathaniel Heywood in the will, or in the Puddington burial register entry on 3rd Dec 1803, just 3 days after he wrote his will.

There is also a Nathaniel Heywood buried 3rd Nov 1803 at Rackenford. Also no age given. This is presumably the Nathaniel Heywood of Rackenford mentioned in Nathaniel of Puddington's will. The marriage of Nathaniel in 1799 to Mary Moore, and the baptisms of Betty in 1800, and Mary in 1804, were all at Rackenford. Although the BAPTISM of Mary on 21st Feb 1804, is after the father was buried on 3rd of Dec 1803, it's entirely possible this is his child. Sometimes you see 'deceased' after the father's name, but not always. And although Mary was baptised in Feb 1804, she could have been born before Nathaniel of Puddington made his will on Nov 30th 1803. Or there may have been another child between Betty in 1800, and Mary in 1804. Have you checked this out?

I would say therefore that there were 2 Nathaniel Heywoods. One in Puddington, an unmarried bachelor, and another in Rackenford, the father of Mary and Betty. This one unfortunately does not seem to leave a will. He is given as a butcher on the marriage record.
One might suppose these two men to be related in some way - perhaps cousins, or uncle and nephew (it seems possible one is about 30 years older than the other), but you would need to go back to previous generations to check. I can only see one baptism for a Nathaniel Heywood - 12th Feb 1768 at Rackenford of William and Jane. That's not to say there might not have been another one, or he may have come from further afield than the small area around Tiverton.

There are lots of names in this will to do some research on.
I have spent some time, but you need to look at a variety of sites. Not all Devon records seem to be on any one site. Familysearch have some, as do findmypast. Pcc wills are on ancestry, and The National Archives Discovery site is always a good place to search for records that might be there or at County Archives.
George Maunder married a Mary Heywood 22 Sept 1798 at Cruwys Morchard, where she is given as being of Puddington and a spinster. The licence is on familysearch, but it doesn't give any other details.
The Bennet family are mentioned several times in this will.
Have you researched them? where do they fit in?
Why is Grace Bennet his executor?
I can see some children born of Thomas Bennet and his wife Grace in the 1770s, but not their marriage. Have you found that? was she also a Heywood?
Did Thomas Bennet leave a will? Are there extended family mentioned in it?
There is a will of a Nathaniel Bennet in 1828 from Thelbridge, just a couple of miles from Puddington.
As you no doubt know, most wills prior to this date were destroyed in 1942, so it is difficult to trace people before about 1800.

As to Mary Moore, as you say it's a very common name - and Mary and Betty Haywood are also common, especially when you factor in all the possibilities of spelling - Haywood, Heyward, Hayward, Howard, Heaward. Heawood etc
You would need to try and trace the baptisms of Mary Moore (I suspect this is where the brick wall is). Just go through each possible one  - find their families - brothers and sisters; did the father leave a will? Can you rule any of the Marys out by finding other marriages that fit? Are there any other Heywood/Moore marriages?

Sometimes the will of a spinster aunt, or a bachelor uncle can be a wealth of information, and be of enormous help.
Unfortunately in this case it would appear to have been a bit of a red herring!
Although the family you ARE interested in are mentioned in it, and others mentioned in it may ultimately  be part of an extended family.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline issyb2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 21 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm this is the same Nathaniel as the will you transcribed for me but I am afraid you have wasted your time - I mentioned all of what you said in my initial message!  Sorry

I have been researching the Heywoods for over 25 years - when I hit brick walls I walk away for a couple of years, then go back but I found this website hoping that a fresh pair of eyes might help me find Mary and the girls.  Both the Puddington and Rackenford Nathanial are the same.

However, I will look further in the Bennetts and the others mentioned in his will - I am not sure of their connection and there is no Grace in the family.  I think Nathaniel was the black sheep of the family as he owed his mother money which she 'wiped off the slate' in her will and he didn't have to pay back! There is more to know of his time in Puddington but as I mentioned before, the church warden, local Family History Society and parish records there have nothing on him.  Mary didn't die before Nathaniel - check the dates of the girls again - one was born before ane the other just after Nathaniel had died!

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
There are very clearly two burials documented -
one at Puddington: Nathanael HEYWOOD buried December 3rd 1803
one at Rackenford: Nathanael HEYWOOD buried November 4th 1803
As goldie61 points out the Puddington Nathanael wrote his will 3 days before his burial whereas the Rackenford Nathanel died before the will was written.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline issyb2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I am aware the dates don't add up, this is why I have been having trouble for years but believe me Nathaniel from Rackenford and Nathaniel from Puddington are the same!! 

Nathaniel from Rackenford m. Mary Moore in Rackenford (marriage cert I have, states they were both from 'this parish'), they must have moved to Puddington as the will mentions the same named siblings as Nathaniel from Rackenford had so it is the same one!

As I mentioned before only one of his siblings had a son called Nathaniel but unless he was a clairvoyant, Nathaniel #2 wasn't born until 3 years after Nathaniel #1 died!  Perhaps he died in Rackenford whilst visiting family and Mary wanted him to be buried back at home in Puddington or it could be that he wasn't favoured and his family didn't want him associated with Rackenford so told Mary to take him back to Puddington - I don't know??

Anyway I am not looking into Nathaniel, I am trying to find Mary and the two girls?!  ;D

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 March 21 19:47 GMT (UK) »

Both the Puddington and Rackenford Nathanial are the same.

But the will of Nathaniel of Puddington explicitly leaves bequests to the children of Nathaniel of Rackenford. Hence 2 different people.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs