Author Topic: Date of photo, Catherine McGovern, Newcastle, UK  (Read 548 times)

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date of photo, Catherine McGovern, Newcastle, UK
« on: Wednesday 17 March 21 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help in dating this photo of Catherine McGovern (McDaniel) in Newcastle/Darlington area possibly by her clothing.
The photo was at some point shown as having been taken in 1880.  She was born around 1811 in Ireland and I'm not sure if she looks 69 in this photo.
Any help greatly appreciated.
McGovern - Wragg - Nicholson - Rollins families in the Northeast and Yorkshire.  Apart from the Wragg family, the rest all originated in Ireland.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo, Catherine McGovern, Newcastle, UK
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 15:13 GMT (UK) »
It could be early 1890s but not fully sure. Would be interested what Carol and Jim say.

See this for similar sleeves.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/date/1892-1.jpg

She could be in her late 70s-80
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Like Gadget, not too sure but on first sight, I would have said 1870s. Her hands don't look too wrinkled. I don't suppose you have access to the full image and the back do you. Photographer info is key to dating photos, as older ladies didn't always keep up with fashion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 21 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Gadget - the sleeves and bodice of the dress are very similar.  I was hoping that her outfit could give me a more accurate date.
McGovern - Wragg - Nicholson - Rollins families in the Northeast and Yorkshire.  Apart from the Wragg family, the rest all originated in Ireland.

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 March 21 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you too Treetotal.  No, I don't have access to the actual photo, this was emailed to me.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 March 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Gadget - the sleeves and bodice of the dress are very similar.  I was hoping that her outfit could give me a more accurate date.

The photo is dated 1892  - see the url link

:)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 March 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
The problem with dating the clothing here is that she has full-ish sleeves but the are in a series of overhangs - epaulet-like. I don't see any like them in my ref books, apart from the 1892 photo.

When did Catherine die?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 March 21 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I just thought that the backdrop was a too plain for 1890s, but the sleeves are a puzzle, but she looks look like she might be wearing mourning dress, I though she looked more likely to be in her 70s. as Gadget suggested. The brooch at the neck was popular in the 90s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 March 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
This is one of those that really needs the back, as you suggested , Carol :-X

PS  -we like a bit of plain up here  ;D ;D