Author Topic: Where can I find my grandfathers full RASC records?  (Read 590 times)

Offline ProudGrandson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where can I find my grandfathers full RASC records?
« on: Thursday 18 March 21 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I’m really sorry if I’m posting in the wrong area, I’ve not been on many forums before.
This is somewhat of a desperate plea for help. I am researching my grandfather who I am increasingly finding out played a rather exciting and possibly important role in the RASC in WW2.
We had some basic notes that he left behind (found after his death in the 1970’s) and these cover his job pre-war in the NAAFI and then during the war in BEF and RASC. He was taken off the beaches just prior to Normandy, heavily involved in the planning for and took part in the landings in North Africa as part of Operation Torch, and then also flew in to Sicily/ Italy as part of those campaigns before taking a prominent role on the second front, landing in an advance party on D-Day and then moving on through France, Belgium and into Germany.
I have found his name in a few books about the NAAFI during WW2 and some great stories of what he did in those books. Unfortunately NAAFI records were destroyed a few decades ago due to privacy regulations so I’ve done all I can on that front.
I am keen to dig deeper to understand whether there might be some information available in RASC service records but don’t know where to start. I can’t travel to Kew at present as live in Australia. Any pointers very much appreciated! Thanks

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find my grandfathers full RASC records?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello ProudGrandson and a warm welcome to RootsChat.

Your grandfather's Service Records are still held by the MOD (British Government) and are not available online anywhere.

What you could do is apply for these records as his next of kin.

This is where you apply  www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records  Go to the section which says "Apply for the records of someone who is deceased" There is a charge of £30 for this and you will also need to enclose a copy of his Death Certificate.

There is a considerable wait at the moment for these to be sent out due to Covid.

Best of luck,

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline ProudGrandson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dorrie
I think my dad got his MOD record a few years back and it was next to useless in terms of information provided  unfortunately. I’ll double check anyway.
I have a copy of his medal entitlement (his medals were suspected stolen in a burglary in the 1990s but not noticed missing for some time).
I’ll contact the RASC museum and see if they have any records.
I wanted to correct a line in my original post but can’t see the edit function so will make a note here

‘just prior to Normandy’ should obviously read ‘just prior to Dunkirk’

Thanks again for the info

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 21 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Just to say hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

Can't add anything additionally to the great info you have already been given
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend