Author Topic: Help deciphering RA tracer card  (Read 562 times)

Offline sarahmoir2007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help deciphering RA tracer card
« on: Thursday 18 March 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just got my grandad's Royal Artillery tracer card from Ancestry but need some help in working out what all the abbreviations mean.  I know he started with the 25th Medium and Heavy Training Regiment, but after that I have no idea.

Can anyone help please?

Sarah

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering RA tracer card
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »
In feb 43 he went to 3 Reserve Regiment. In Mar 43 he joined a draft with the recognition code RFYZZ (which doesn’t  stand for anything.it is like a flight number). From the next line we se NA which is him arriving in North Africa and awaiting a posting (indicated by the X iv). He appears to have had another move in Aug 43 and in Feb 44. He is in Italy (CMF) in Apr 45. He was released in Sep 45and placed on the reserve in November 45 (the usual release process). His commitment to the reserve ended at the age of 45 or 1954 whichever came first.
Unfortunately none of this shows what regiments he served with overseas.  For that you need his record, held by MoD. See guidance on WW 2 records in a number of places on Rootschat

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline sarahmoir2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering RA tracer card
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 March 21 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.  I am in the process of applying for his service records so will get more detail from that, as you say, but your outline is really helpful.

Sarah