Author Topic: John Wood of Radford, Nottingham  (Read 614 times)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wood of Radford, Nottingham
« on: Thursday 18 March 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
(I posted this yesterday but it has been suggested repost it here.)

I have a marriage beween John Wood and Elizabeth Webster 7th November 1674 at St Peter's Nottingham. Looking for a possible birth for John Wood I found a baptism on 14th June 1652 at St Peter's. His parents are John Wood and Anne. I have not found this marriage or further births.

Having recently rejoined the Ancestry site I have found a number of trees with John Wood (jun) being born in 1652 Skipworth, Yorkshire and baptised in 1662.They also have his father being baptised St Peter's Sheffield in 1630 and John (jun)'s mother being a Mary Wine Flower. John (sen) seems to have sailed to America in 1677. Trees go back even further.

Although I am suspicious of these Ancestry trees which are copied and recopied I have not found an alternative history and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: John Wood of Radford, Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 21 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I've looked on the Notts FHS CD.

There is only 1 marriage between a John Wood and Elizabeth Webster, the date of which you've got.

There are then these children born to John and Elizabeth Wood, with the baptisms at Nottingham St Mary, Nott St NIcholas and at Radford St Peter. I don't know if this is all the same family, but as I said, there's only one marriage.
1675 10 21      Mary           John   WOOD   Elizabeth         RADFORD St Peter   
1677 03 30      Elizabeth   John   WOOD   Elizabeth         RADFORD St Peter   
1680 06 02      Hannah   John   WOOD   Elizab.         RADFORD St Peter   
1684 01 06      Elizabeth   John   WOOD   Elizabeth         NOTTINGHAM St Nicholas   
1685 05 15      John           John   WOOD   (no mother named)   RADFORD St Peter   
1686 11 10      Hannah   John   WOOD   Elizabeth         NOTTINGHAM St Mary   
1687 10 16      Thomas   John   WOOD   Elizabeth         RADFORD St Peter   

The baptism of John Wood, parents John and Anne, in 1652 is on the disc, but the baptism was at Radford St Peter, not at Nottingham St Peter. There were 3 other baptisms to parents of these names, between 1648 and 1662, in either Radford and Notts St Mary. I can't see a marriage for John and Anne pre-1648.

Looking at burials of John Wood, there are several possibilities in the right time frame between Radford and Nottingham, but this one made me wonder:
1721 11 25   John   WOOD         Radford St Peter   Gentleman   RADFORD St Peter
- a gentleman - dd he leave a will maybe?

This burial, at Radford,may be of interest:
1658 09 29   Ann   WOOD         Radford St Peter   Wife of John   

And this one:
1720 09 28   Elizabeth   WOOD         Radford St Peter   Relict of John generos   
(what does "generos" mean? But Elizabeth was a "relict" so John must have predeceased her)

To confuse that, another burial in the same year, using the same terminology:
1720 12 12   Mary   WOOD         Radford St Peter   Wife of John generos   

Maybe something here might be useful?

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 21 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I also looked at other poss baptisms for a John who married in 1674, and found these:
1633 06 11      John        Ismaell   WOOD   Dorothy         RAMPTON All Saints   
1636 01 29      John        George   WOOD   Anne      SUTTON CUM LOUND St Bartholomew   
1643 10 22   Son   John         John   WOOD   Emme         BALDERTON St Giles   
1652 06 14      John         John   WOOD   Anne         RADFORD St Peter   
1654 12 23      John         Thomas   WOOD            WORKSOP St Mary (Priory)   (this child presumably died - see the next in the list)
1655 12 22       John         Thomas   WOOD            WORKSOP St Mary (Priory)   
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Goodness! Thank you for all the information.

I have another daughter, Elinor 29.6.1682 Radford St Peter in my tree. I am inclined to believe that John (1652) IS the father of these children as he was baptised in the same church but, like you, I can not go back further than this in finding parents and siblings.

I think that is why some people look for the nearest matches, regardless of geography. Though why they think John Wood who married Elizabeth Webster belongs to the Yorkshire family is beyond me. It is a common name.

The burial inscriptions are interesting. 'Relict' means widow but I thought 'generos' means begat/ give birth which seems contradiction. I also have a burial for John Wood 15.1.1723 at Radford.
All in all I don't think I will get any further than this and will just have to ignore the Ancestry trees which go back to the 1400s

Thanks again for your interest.