Author Topic: The missing link  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The missing link
« on: Thursday 18 March 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I recently discovered through DNA that I have cousins in NY, USA. The 2 cousins I contacted were 1st cousins to each other but they weren't much help. I traced their family up to their gt-gt-grand parents Patrick and Mary Ryan but then no further. Their granddad was Walter Francis Ryan 1895-1950 married to Edith Henrietta Paris. Their gt- granddad was James W Ryan 1871-1899 married to Catherine Kelley. Patrick was a farmer from Ireland born c.1841 and Mary c.1842........... My own gt-grandfather was also called Patrick Ryan (Tailor) b.1847 in the Tipperary area (possibly Borrisoleigh) and his father was called William Ryan (Tailor) and possibly married to Bridget Ready in 1841. I'm guessing that the grandfather of both my Patrick and the NY Patrick is the same person. Could anyone please find my missing relatives and prove the common link. Thanks, Alan Ryan
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The missing link
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 21 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Most if not all the leads in previous threads have been discounted after further research but I'll go over them again to make sure. I'm short of two names to prove the link that will tell me if I'm on the right track (presuming the DNA evidence is correct). I'm currently looking at the Tipperary parish registers again to see if I can pick up "my" Borrisoleigh family again apres 1854, I tried the Irish census's but as you know, they no longer exist and I've had no joy in the British censor's either
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 March 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
You say...........
 Their granddad was Walter Francis Ryan 1895.
Going by his birth record 14th July 1895......different parents.
I will send you the information PM.
Maggsie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 March 21 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I recently discovered through DNA that I have cousins in NY, USA. The 2 cousins I contacted were 1st cousins to each other but they weren't much help. I traced their family up to their gt-gt-grand parents Patrick and Mary Ryan but then no further. Their granddad was Walter Francis Ryan 1895-1950 married to Edith Henrietta Paris. Their gt- granddad was James W Ryan 1871-1899 married to Catherine Kelley. Patrick was a farmer from Ireland born c.1841 and Mary c.1842...........

Alan,
Looking at trees (all the same owner re the New York family).
They have James W born 1861 (you have 1871) with parents John Ryan and Catherine Redmond. I think you have Patrick and Mary?
This is the marriage attached to their Ryan/Kelly

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24S7-8F4

Am I reading your information wrongly?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The missing link RYAN (Tailor)
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 March 21 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Maggsie & Haywood, these are the 2 LDS links I got my information from;                                 
James W. Ryan, "New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949" — FamilySearch.org                                             
Walter Francis Ryan, "New York, County Marriages, 1847-1848; 1908-1936" — FamilySearch.org

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 March 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I am sure you have checked with the cousins information but will just post these records I have seen. You will know best.
Do you have their families in censuses?

1900 with a 5 yr old Walter
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSVC-3TL

1910 - the same family with father James W now widowed but his mother Catherine with them.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5H9-KLJ

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Haywood, James W now has another 4 children according to those census's, making 7 in total and interestingly has his mother Catharine b.1838 who in 1905 was called Kathleen b.1841. Presumably if she WAS married to Patrick, then he'd snuffed it prior to 1905. Very confusing but something new to look for.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Those records , if all the same person have James’ father as John not Patrick.