Author Topic: GG Grandfather - Frederick Henry Sparke - help with the missing links please  (Read 1876 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Henry Sparke born and baptised in Devon, England  1833.

1. He immigrated to Australia, it is believed he arrived in Melbourne, Vic at the end of 1854 on the ship "Walter"  a single man. I cannot find a record.

He married 1856 in Heidelberg to Clara Maria Johnston, he was aged 24 and she was 17, usual residence for both was Greensborough, his occupation listed as "School Master"

After their marriage they moved to Templestowe, where he was supposedly a teacher at Templestowe School no 624.
2.  would there be a record to clarify this and if so how long he was there.

I have records from 1863 stating Frederick is working for the Templestowe Roads Board, first as a Clerk, then a Surveyor.

On 23 Sep 1870 there is a notice in the Argus Newspaper,  - Frederick, the holder of a publican's licence for the house and premises known as the Templesowe Hotel, Templestowe, applies to The Heidelberg Court of Petty Sessions,  sitting on the 28 day of Feb, to transfer the said licence to John Gorman of Heidelberg.
When and how long he was at the Hotel I don't know?

He is making a move to Marysville to become teacher at the new school there, he answered their advertisement and was appointed on 24 Oct 1870.

If someone can help me with the earlier records 1 and 2, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GG Grandfather - Frederick Henry Sparke - help with the missing links please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 21 02:46 GMT (UK) »

VIC BDM marriage

Marriage
1370/1856 SPARKE, Frederick Henry     marr.   JOHNSTON Clara Maria

What church are they married in?.  hat names do you see for witnesses?

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: GG Grandfather - Frederick Henry Sparke - help with the missing links please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 March 21 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses are, Clara's father T E Johnston and William Usher
St John's church.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 March 21 03:19 GMT (UK) »

Two children have distinctive second given names.  Are these names from JOHNSON or SPARKE family?

BDM VIC births
17560/1876 SPARKE George Freeman  parents  Clara JOHNSON / Frederick Henry   @ Mary

25021/1867 SPARKE Esther Webber  parents Clara Maria JOHNSTON / Frederick Henry  @ Templestow

BDM VIC death
1173/1905 SPARKE Fredk Hy  parents UKN / UKN    @ C Hill      72y
17114/1923 SPARKE Clara Maria parents Harriett COOTE / JOHNSTON Thomas Elliott   @ Warburton
85y

What are the circumstances of Frederick's death......away from home?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 March 21 03:23 GMT (UK) »

The Argus 30 May 1856 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4839053?
On the 26th inst., at Heidelberg Church, by the Rev. James Lynar—Frederick Henry SPARKE, youngest
son of Mr. William Sparke, of Newton Abbot, Devon, England, to Clara Maria, eldest daughter of Mr.
Thomas Eliot JOHNSTON, formerly of Dublin, now of the colony of Victoria.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 March 21 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I have all of thoserecords and more, my main query is for 1 and 2

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 March 21 03:35 GMT (UK) »

"....1. He immigrated to Australia, it is believed he arrived in Melbourne, Vic at the end of 1854 on the ship "Walter"  a single man. I cannot find a record.?

Who believes this, other than you. Why do they believe this?  What is the source of this information?

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 March 21 03:43 GMT (UK) »
It is believed to be so by other family members, but I need to know for sure if thi is correct or not

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 21 04:02 GMT (UK) »

It is useful to know the source of your information.

"...he was supposedly a teacher at Templestowe School no 624."  This is very specific...number of school, so it in not likely to be family stories. 

Ask your family where they have found the information. If no one knows, then just start your own research.

Frederick's death certificate would record  "...years in the colony".  Frederick's death in index does not record parents' names. His wife is alive when he dies, and while Clara might not be named as formant, you might expect that Clare is source of the information.  If Clara did not know his parents' names, Clara might not know much else about him  eg  life before 1856 in Victoria....including when he arrived. But Frederick did not die at home, which might compromise what information was recorded on the death certificate. 

That is why I asked about his death. Does the death certificate show years in the colony?

Some settlers gave family name / location / ship of arrival to their property.

Some gave name of the ship of arrival to a child. That is why I am asking about those given names.

The information you are using might be found ......back of a photo....entry in family bible......possibilities that an earlier researcher considered.

If no one can tell you where this information comes from......just do your own research.