Author Topic: Gertrude Podgur: Wales and London  (Read 450 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gertrude Podgur: Wales and London
« on: Friday 19 March 21 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on Gertrude Podgur who was b. 13 Jun 1909, Blaina, Monmouthshire, Wales, the daughter of Joseph and Leah Podgur.  In 1911 they are living in Blaina, their older three children are born Leeds, Yorks., and Joseph and Leah were born Villna, Germany (possibly Vilnius?).  She is listed as Gerty.

Gertrude had a child as a single woman and that child is living with relatives of mine in 1939.
Gertrude is living in Islington, London, working as a barmaid, on Holloway Road.  In the household are Douglas A. Wheeler, licensed victualler, David E. Wheeler, victualler's son, a manageress, and two barmaids, including Gertrude.

Written above her surname on the 1939 in green ink is Blackburn, but I could not find a marriage.  A Gertrude Blackburn with the same birthday later dies in Slough district, Berkshire, May 1991.

There are only a handful of Podgurs, and most of them are registered in Leeds.

Would this have been a formal adoption at the time?  My relatives did have a connection to Wales, but lived outside London in Middlesex.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gertrude Podgur: Wales and London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on Gertrude Podgur who was b. 13 Jun 1909, Blaina, Monmouthshire, Wales, the daughter of Joseph and Leah Podgur. 

In 1911 they are living in Blaina, their older three children are born Leeds, Yorks., and Joseph and Leah were born Villna, Germany (possibly Vilnius?).  She is listed as Gerty.

Gertrude had a child as a single woman and that child is living with relatives of mine in 1939.
Gertrude is living in Islington, London, working as a barmaid, on Holloway Road. 

In the household are Douglas A. Wheeler, licensed victualler, David E. Wheeler, victualler's son, a manageress, and two barmaids, including Gertrude.

Written above her surname on the 1939 in green ink is Blackburn, but I could not find a marriage.  A Gertrude Blackburn with the same birthday later dies in Slough district, Berkshire, May 1991.

FreeBMD has a

Blackburn birth Jun 1941 mmn Podgur - could this be a child of Gertrude
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gertrude Podgur: Wales and London
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks...it probably is as there were few Podgurs in England