Author Topic: Beginning to think my ancestors were impervious to being photographed!  (Read 684 times)

Offline Dawn of the Light

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I cannot find any photos of my Tunnicliffe relatives at all!
Seeking photos.
Hi, I’m hoping someone might be able to help me or point me in a new direction. My father was born in Longton in 1921.   No idea who my father’s dad was..
Anyway, I am trying to find photos of my Grandparent’s shop(s) They lived at 24-26 Heathcote Road. Spring Road & Argyll Road. They were Arthur Joseph & Harriet (Spalton)Tunnicliffe. Arthur’s parents was Michael & Anne (Pope)Tunnicliffe.
I have a substantial family tree but no photos of Tunnicliffes or adverts they may have had. They were also potters (as were most people!) Not sure if William (of Taylor-Tunnicliffe) is one of my family.
My grandmother Cissy Tunnicliffe, daughter of Arthur Joseph, always said that they were reasonably well off, had a horse & trap. She also said that Charles F Tunnicliffe (the wildlife painter) was a relative which is possible as there is an family resemblance.
She was training as an milliner but fell pregnant with my Dad. I am slowly going mad trying to find search terms that will yield a result

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning to think my ancestors were impervious to being photographed!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
In the 1920s I think not many people would have had a camera, especially if they were not 'well off'
Then again, some people just don't like having their photo taken!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn and welcome to Rootschat, If you have a subscription to Ancestry, you can search for pictures on the left hand menu. Just type in a surname and location and you may get lucky.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to see if the town has a facebook page?

Many towns do have a facebook page where old photographs are shared.  with a bit of luck your ancestors standing in front of their shop and/or the street where they lived will have been photographed.

If there is such a page, there is usually a small magnifying glass which denotes that the webpage can be searched for personal or street names.

Best wishes.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke