Author Topic: Stolen Images ?  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen Images
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 March 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
So, if anything, the image was "stolen" by Nifty1 and/or his family?!

Not if they were given it or bought it.

It just means that nifty doesn't have the copyright and therefore can't make a fuss.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 March 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply 14 Gadget.
My copy of the picture was left to me by an uncle who died several years ago.
II says nothing about copyright on it. Edit it is not a postcard and is of such a size that it was probably a contact print.
I want to find out why it was among the three cases full of other pics and docs and curios.
At this stage I am not making a fuss. I just want to know,why it was where it was.
It does bother me a bit that I think people are being  commodified.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 March 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
My copy of the picture was left to me by an uncle whom died several years ago.  It says nothing about copyright on it.
I want to find out why it was among the three cases full of other pics and docs and curios.

I still don't see why you feel so protective about it - it's out there, and that may even help you to find out things.

I was surprised to find a photo of a great-aunt and her mother, grandmother and g-grandmother on the web, especially as I have in my possession the original glass plate taken in 1865.  I gather a copy was found in a curio shop somewhere and published by a completely unconnected person.  I never thought about copyright, and that person could tell me nothing I didn't already know.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 March 21 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I do not feel protective about this one image

It does bother me a bit that I think people are being  commodified.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 March 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I have several photographs of my maternal grandfather at camp in WW1 and at least two of them are in the public domain. I have never felt that I had copywrite over them as they were either official army photographs or photographs taken by a professional photographer.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 March 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody had one of their images stolen and done anything about it?
If so, with what result?

To answer your question, yes I have had images taken by others without my consent. The difference being that I know I own the Copyright, because I created the image. For every person in my tree I make a cover sheet.   

I use MS Paint in exactly A4 size. I give each one a double border in black and in one corner put © - 2021 - XXXX (where XXXX are my initials).  I then Fill the page with a pastel colour and add their name in a darker colour.  Please see the attachment. 

Someone had taken my images and used them on their own tree. I approached them and they ignored me. I complained to Ancestry and pointed out my copyright. I told them that I wanted to be asked, or I would go to law. Ancestry replied with copies of their User Agreement and paragraphs of waffle. I thanked them for their rubbish, restated my request and asked for a physical address where the summons could be sent. 

Within 48hours I received a very nice letter from the woman concerned, apologising and asking if she could continue using the images. I said yes and we came to an agreement. I make images for her and she travels the West/South West of England visiting graveyards for me. 

Not another word heard from Ancestry. 

Regards 

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 March 21 15:36 GMT (UK) »

https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachrichtenfoto/kings-grove-maidenhead-berkshire-c1890-a-group-piling-nachrichtenfoto/464414271?language=fr

It was from the Hulton Archive. Sir Edward Hulton was a publishing magnate who founded the magazine "Picture Post" in 1930's.  Photo-journalism was popular then. Date of photo is said to be around 1890.
Cowban

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 March 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I've found quite a few pictures of ancestors, including my grandparents, out there on the internet.  I spend a good bit of time searching for pictures and I'm always pleased to find them no matter who put them online or for what purpose.  In my view, no one owns her/his ancestors even in the rare cases where s/he is the only surviving descendant.  No matter how humble and insignificant they were, they are historical figures and their lives and photos may be of interest to people who are unrelated to them.  That's fine with me.  I recently have had contact with a person who is interested in some of my direct ancestors, not because he is a descendant but because they lived in a place whose history is his subject of interest.  Good!  I'm pleased that someone has taken notice of them.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 March 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
As before watermark the image(s) before publication

Pauline, anyone with photoshop or similar can soon edit anything out as we see on the restoration page frequently.

As mentioned, once on the net it's a 'free-for-all' as I found out when I posted on ancestry, an image of a painting I had done (which cost me £160) of our family croft house (taken from an actual photo) & it now appears on several trees...no mention of where it came from & certainly no message to ask for permission!

I saw 2 images on ancestry which related to my family, I didn't 'take' them, I sent a message to the chap who posted them & asked his permission to copy them, it's called 'common decency'  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"