Author Topic: Sad place of birth  (Read 736 times)

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sad place of birth
« on: Saturday 20 March 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
It’s those one things you see when you’re researching which will always stick in your mind.

Recently I was researching something on the 1861 Census. 

A few lines above my relative was a child with initials only with his described place of birth as ‘In a railway carriage, does not know where’. 

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Sad place of birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 21 09:42 GMT (UK) »
It’s those one things you see when you’re researching which will always stick in your mind.

A few lines above my relative was a child with initials only with his described place of birth as ‘In a railway carriage, does not know where’.

Quite a few births have happened unexpectedly in taxis, or on board ship, so I don't see this case as 'sad'.  Just the 1861 parallel example, no doubt equally inconvenient.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 21 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I failed to add this was a child in a workhouse.  No sign of any relations.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see this as sad either,until you added that it was a child in the workhouse.
Sounds like it was possibly left in the train carriage, by mum.

Not sure I'd have been keen to have given birth in an ambulance or a car by the roadside,but of course it happens nowadays. But of course today you'd stay with that baby.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 21 16:07 GMT (UK) »

Reminds me of the famous lines by Lady Bracknell from "The Importance of Being Earnest".
"A handbag?"
"To be born, or at any rate bred, in a handbag, whether it has handles or not, seems to me to display a contempt for the ordinary decencies of family life ..."
"You can hardly imagine that I and Lord Bracknell would dream of allowing our only daughter ... to marry into a cloakroom and form an alliance with a parcel?"
Cowban