Author Topic: Uniform Identification  (Read 11619 times)

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Uniform Identification
« on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I would be really grateful if someone could identify which regiment this man belongs to.

He is my mother's great uncle, John Hobbs and I am trying to find out what happened to him and, in an ideal world, use this information to track down his children. He is the last missing branch of my great-grandmother's family. He was born in the first quarter of 1891 in Islington, Middlesex to Lawrence John & Eleanor Hobbs. Grandpa thought he married a Mary and had 7 sons and 2 daughters but his memory wasn't the best towards the end of his life so this may not be correct.

Unfortunately, John changed his surname to join the forces in WW1 from Hobbs to either Godley or Godfrey. He wasn't able to change it back without losing his pension. The last trace of him I have is on the 1911 census, where he is an unemployed hotel waiter living a few doors down from his parents. After that he changes his name and I lose him.

I figured a good place to start would be to find his service record, which will be much easier to find if I have an idea of what I'm looking for. A smaller haystack!

I note the NZWB (?) on his shoulder but googling it just brings up an airport  >:(

Thank you for any help!

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform Identification
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:15 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
New Zealand Rifle Brigade?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zealand-WW1-New-Zealand-Rifle-Brigade-shoulder-badges-/254046702431

Thank you so much, Shaun. I think you've found it!

Do you have any idea why a born and bred Londoner with no links to the Antipodes would join the New Zealand Rifle Brigade? My military history knowledge is non-existent.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:39 GMT (UK) »
He must have gone to New Zealand (probably before WW1) and joined up there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 21 15:43 GMT (UK) »
During the 1914-1918 Centenary, I did a lot of research about British Anzacs with other volunteers at our local Heritage Centre and found quite a few from our own town. We did an exhibition too.
I thought this might help in your understanding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_and_New_Zealand_Army_Corps

It was believed that British Soldiers were offered the chance to join the Anzacs with the chance to settle in that country, Australia or New Zealand with their Families when the war was over.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 March 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I have an 18 year old who left England for Australia in March 1914 as a farm student.  Perhaps your man was similar.  It seemed to be a large group who travelled.  He joined the AIF in November, served and came back to Australia after the war. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 March 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 March 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Thank you, Carol, for the link - I had not realised so many British men signed up to fight with the Anzacs.

I searched on both https://honouringanzacs.net.au and https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk but could not find a John Godley or John Godfrey that matched.

I don't think he stayed in New Zealand (or Australia). I think my Grandpa would've remembered his cousins being born abroad. I found a short biography my Grandpa wrote for him but it doesn't mention any dates or locations. It just says he married Kitty shortly after the war, divorced, married Mary, had 9 children and worked most of his life as a rep for Gestetner.

I suppose I might have to mark as completed and close this thread and start a more general one. Such a shame I couldn't find a service record  :'(

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 March 21 18:00 GMT (UK) »
The only British men honoured were the ones who lost their lives. Good luck in your search. I hope you find the answers.
Carol