Author Topic: John Mullaney b c1831/32  (Read 1506 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mullaney b c1831/32
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 21 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I gave you duff information.

I obtained the baptism details from a transcription on RootsIreland, which states the Parish to be Croghan and the date of baptism to be 29 May 1832. Clearly that was wrong, so I will skulk off!

I am pleased you are sorted out though.

The writing, or presentation of the records is difficult to read, Pennines and I searched for Croghan parish and Killucan came up as a variant so no need to ‘skulk off’  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 21 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry, I check and recheck as a matter of course. I've gone round and round with this chap and I'm having another go at the moment. I've never been entirely satisfied with him.
I think the most likely candidate for me on the 1851 census is the chap living in Prescot.

Do the witness names give any clues?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 March 21 17:11 GMT (UK) »
This is what it says on Wikipedia about Croghan - and 'Killucin' is one of the old parishes incorporated into it.
You wouldn't have thought it big enough being as the houses in Croghan were only on one side! (That made me laugh).

The village dates from the late 1700s and was set up by then local landlord Lloyd. The Lloyd family were granted the lands of Croghan which originally were owned by the Mcdermott's in 1680. Lloyd built a house in the 1700s where the GAA Club Rooms now stand, and in 1830 built a larger mansion nearby. Croghan village consisted of 30 houses all facing east towards the big house in a north-south direction. The only building on the other side of street was Donnellan's shop (1765), which in 1796 became the Roman Catholic Church.[citation needed] Croghan is now the parish name for this area incorporating the old parishes of Killukin, Killumod, Tumna, Kilcola and Estersnow.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 March 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry, I check and recheck as a matter of course. I've gone round and round with this chap and I'm having another go at the moment. I've never been entirely satisfied with him.
I think the most likely candidate for me on the 1851 census is the chap living in Prescot.

Do the witness names give any clues?
I'll have to look through my records to be sure but my first thought is no. I think we have a clear case of migration from Ireland to England because of the famine. John Mullaney seems to leave everything behind.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 March 21 19:21 GMT (UK) »
'Saw' -- when you say John was in Lancashire marrying his wife in 1852 -- does the marriage cert give his address as Lancashire? His marriage was in Stockport Reg District, which is Cheshire.

There is an Ann Duffy living in Macclesfield, Cheshire in 1851. Also a John Mullany living in Old Withington, Cheshire - an Ag Lab (he may be a bit young though at 17).

The Private in Chatham from the correct parish is worth considering - correct name - correct birth parish. It's a big coincidence otherwise. Unfortunately though, I can't see any surviving Army papers for him at the moment.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 March 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
'Saw' -- when you say John was in Lancashire marrying his wife in 1852 -- does the marriage cert give his address as Lancashire? His marriage was in Stockport Reg District, which is Cheshire.

There is an Ann Duffy living in Macclesfield, Cheshire in 1851. Also a John Mullany living in Old Withington, Cheshire - an Ag Lab (he may be a bit young though at 17).

The Private in Chatham from the correct parish is worth considering - correct name - correct birth parish. It's a big coincidence otherwise. Unfortunately though, I can't see any surviving Army papers for him at the moment.

You're right I've got the wrong county. Cheshire instead of Lancashire. If the Chatham private is my John then he would have been a deserter in at the time of his marriage, surely? Both John and Ann are living in Heaton Norris according to marriage cert and John's occupation is labourer. Both give their age as 21.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area