Author Topic: Searching for children of a relative outside of marriage  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for children of a relative outside of marriage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
She had your father in 1945 and registered him under her married name but he was illegitimate

She married your grandfather in 1947

If she had other children between 1939-1944 - given she registered your father under her married name - wouldn't it be likely she would do the same with any others?

So you should be looking for births under her married name with maiden name Brundle between those dates

Carole...

The law was & still is, the child of a married woman, regardless of circumstances (to another man other than her husband) is 'assumed' to be of the marriage unless she states otherwise.

I have one such BC where the 'married' woman owned up to being married to someone else which gives a mountain of info. & the father signed too.
He's recorded on SP under 3 surnames i.e. surname of the father, marital surname of mother & maiden name of mother!  :D

Annie

Add...not sure why my reply has ended up inside the quotes  ???
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 21 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes - it's most unlikely any children born between 1938 and 1944 would have a surname different than her married name

Will be interesting to know what her marital status was on the 1947 marriage cert

Did her previous husband perhaps die in WW2?? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 March 21 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd post this for others to view as it's not a common occurrence although I've blanked out surnames!

I couldn't believe how informative it was (a great help), what an honest woman!

The family story was, he was a 'war baby'...we're still trying to figure out what war  ???  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a way to search for any potential children of my grandmother.

At the moment the method I am using on FreeBMD is to search for children born to a mother with the same surname, then (very slowly) eliminating each entry off the list by searching for marriages where the surname is different to the mothers maiden name (where it is the same I can't eliminate).

This still leaves quite a long list of birth certificates I need to request.

Is there another way to do this?

TPH,

If you know what religion/denomination your grandmother was, you could try looking for baptismal records for the known children and then see if there were any others in between.

You'd probably have to contact the churches or whatever archives might hold their registers and see what's involved in requesting a look-up.

I don't know if this would be easier.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

That's remarkable!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline TPH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Her previous Husband died in 1985. So there must have been a divorce. This I suppose could have happened at any point between 1938 and 1946. 

The marriage certificate (1946) list her married name (1st marriage) formerly Brundle, with the conditions 'formerly the wife of (something) (1st husband), from whom she (something) divorce.

My fathers brother would have been 7 years old when he was born and I suspect that he either went off with the father or that another relative looked after him as my father never mentioned a brother.

I suspect the marriage was more to do with getting my fathers birth certificate updated to reflect his fathers surname and ensuring that this was the same as my his mother's surname as from what I understand they were never really together as a couple and the father was not around when my father was growing up.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:21 GMT (UK) »
That's remarkable!

Josephine...

I was in awe when I saw that BC, I couldn't believe it!  :o

I've pondered over posting this for a few yrs now but it is 'remarkable' & worth posting if only to highlight the need to see 'original' documents!

The trouble here is, there were 2 candidates, father & son both named George, both Shoemakers i.e. we're not 100% sure yet of which was the 'Daddy'.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:44 GMT (UK) »
TPH,

Have you found all people concerned in 1939?

Have you looked for a death for your father' brother?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:48 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate (1946) list her married name (1st marriage) formerly Brundle, with the conditions 'formerly the wife of (something) (1st husband), from whom she (something) divorce.

Is it possible to post a snip with the above info. only to see if others can work out exactly what the MC records?

Annie