Author Topic: Matthew Gardner & Margaret Martin from Cambusnethan  (Read 824 times)

Offline dgcrouch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthew Gardner & Margaret Martin from Cambusnethan
« on: Saturday 20 March 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the parents of Matthew Gardner & Margaret Martin.

The baptismal entries for their children from Cambusnethan reads:

• James Gairdner son to Mathew Gairdner in the parish of Dalziel was born January 1st and Baptized January 13th 1775 being their first Child

Isobel Gairdner Daughter to Archibald Gairdner in the parish of Dalziel and Margaret Martine his spouse was born on the 25 of Feby & Baptd on the 2d of March 1777 being their 2d Child

Elisabeth Gairdner Daughter to Mathew Gairdner in Wishawtown and Margaret Martine his spouse was born on the 25th and Baptized on the 29th  of Feby 1779 being their 3d Child.

Margaret Gairdner Daughter to Mathew Gairdner at Wishawtown and Margaret Martine his spouse was born on the 12th & Baptd on the 17th of Septr 1780 their [blank]

Alexr Gairdner Son to Mathew Gairdner at Wishawtown and Margaret Martine his spouse, was born on the 4th  and Baptized on the 11th  of August 1782 being their 5th Child.

Alexander Gardener Son to Mathew Gardener at Wishawtown and Margaret Martine his spouse was born on the 25th March and Baptd on the 6th April 1789 being their 8th Child.

Robert Gardener son to Mathew Gardener at Wishawtown & Margaret Martine his spouse, was born 17th Augt & Baptd 4th Septr 1791 their 9th child

Agnes Gardener Daur to Mathew Gardener at Wishawtown & Margt Martine his spouse was born on the 25th Octr & Baptd  8th Novr 1795.

I cannot find either Mathew Gardner nor Margaret Martin in the 1841 census or listed amongst the monumental inscriptions for the Cambusnethan graveyard.

Please contact me if you are related to this couple or have any suggestions to overcome this brick wall.

Thanks,
David

http://david-crouch.com/Gardner%20-%20Watson/Second%20Site/Gardner%20-%20Watson-o/index.htm

Crouch, Gardner, Wills, Mathews, Horseman, Taylor, Glanville, Pethick, Dalziel, Watson, Robertson, Cleland, Donaldson, Martin

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Gardner & Margaret Martin from Cambusnethan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 21 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming this was a typo?...

"Isobel Gairdner Daughter to Archibald Gairdner in the parish of Dalziel and Margaret Martine his spouse was born on the 25 of Feby & Baptd on the 2d of March 1777 being their 2d Child"

Their 1st child was b 1775 which would mean they were born approx. 1759-, not much chance of being on an 1841 census aged approx. 82+...

Maybe an email to enquire what dates are included on these publications...

http://www.lanarkshirefhs.org.uk/mideath-pubs.html

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I was hoping the 'all-knowing' Lodger would see your post and assist given that your query is Cambusnethan based. In your list of baptisms, son Matthew Gardner wasn't mentioned but perhaps you know of his existence? He died in June 1874 aged 90, a resident of Cardross, occupation Factor and son of Matthew Gardner and Margaret Martin. He is buried in the Old Grave Yard at Cambusnethan which leads me to believe that the Gardners had a substantial family plot given the distance travelled between Cardross and Cambusnethan for burial. Would his body have been transported by train perhaps? I don't know what newspapers were available at the time but likely this death and transportation of the body may have been newsworthy?
Matthew Jnr's brother, Alexander was buried in the Old Grave Yard 19 May 1875, likewise their sisters Agnes Smellie buried 02 Sep 1880 aged 84 and Isabella Reid buried 16 Dec 1821 aged 44.
You would think it highly likely that their parents are buried there too but its possible there are no records remaining or that a headstone (if they had one) was broken, damaged or illegible. There are many family trees posted on Ancestry but the information you seek is not available there either so you may need to dig a little deeper. The Motherwell Heritage Centre may be able to help you.
Good luck with your search,
Sage.

Offline dgcrouch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sage,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  Yes, there is no baptismal entry for Matthew but he is my 3G-grandfather.

I have not found anything in the newspapers around the time of his death.  I did find a small advertisement in the 1840s where he is listed as the contact for the rental of a property connected with the Camis Eskan estate in Cardross where he was acting overseer.

I am not actually convinced that Matthew is buried in Cambusnethan.  The stone in the graveyard was erected by his son, Rev. Alexander Gardner minister in Brechin, Scotland.  The inscription says it is a memorial and I am unclear if that means that Matthew may be buried elsewhere.

Matthew first married Euphemia Dalziel in Cambusnethan.  I have never been able to find her baptismal entry and she died circa 1847 so there is no civil death registration.  Hence, I have never been able to determine her parents.

I have been to the heritage center in Motherwell but I think I will try again after this pandemic situation subsides somewhat.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments - much appreciated!

David
Crouch, Gardner, Wills, Mathews, Horseman, Taylor, Glanville, Pethick, Dalziel, Watson, Robertson, Cleland, Donaldson, Martin

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 21 03:54 BST (UK) »
David,
I did find a family notice re the death of Matthew Gardner in the Glasgow Herald dated 09 Jun 1874 but I'm unable to view it...perhaps someone with access can assist.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Sage, if you have a specific date for an issue of the Glasgow Herald, you can always find it here https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC A few gaps in the issues, but not many really.

At that time, BMD notices are normally on the front page.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk