Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 20th March  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 20th March
« on: Saturday 20 March 21 23:35 GMT (UK) »
It was V day for me. Went for a walk in the morning, wasn't sure what to wear as temperatures up to 16° were forecast but it had been quite cool earlier. Was a bit too warm in the jacket I chose. Was feeling a bit edgy, not worried about the vaccination or the vaccine itself but just wanted to get it over with.

Drove down to the surgery, parked opposite and was surprised at how many people were going in as the receptionist had told me that mine was the last appointment. Waited till the appointment time and went in, the procedure was the same as for the flu jab, in the front door and out the back. No sign of any other patients, was back in the car four minutes after going in. . Had the Astra Zeneca vaccine, I could feel it going down my arm as it was injected, a really strange feeling. Back home for lunch.

A friend came to take down a large shelf in the garage that I wanted rid of, before he arrived I took out all the things that were on and around there, the patio was full of stuff and part of the lawn too, swept out the dirt. Didn't take long to remove the shelf. After that I put all the everything back, rearranged some things, will do more  another day and maybe get rid of some. It was all quite strenuous. Hot in the sunshine in the garden.
If I'm feeling tired on Sunday I won't know if it was a side effect of the vaccine or all the physical work I did. We shall see.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 20th March
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 21 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh blimy forgot to wish you luck for today’s vaccination.... glad to hear it all went well and certainly a speedy process!
Perhaps a rest tomorrow just in case you have side effects might be in order... the garage sorting can always wait for another day! Lovey to have such warm temps!

Woke early today with I think the bins next door being clattered... just after 7am! Went back to sleep but never very successful so read before getting up...
A brighter day...
OH had his now usual Saturday morning zoom with his golfing buddies... they’re all looking forward to getting back on the course...
Once he’d finished he went out in the garden to start on the third post hole...
I had to wait for my Waitrose delivery and once that came I went out too...
‘ the third one will be easy as no shrubs to move first’ was the comment before he went out...
Wrong!
This one had two major tree roots from next doors yew tree which is right up against the wire fencing and about 30-40ft high... so it took some time for OH to saw through them... won’t be at all worried if it kills the tree as his son said (last year!) he was planning to get rid of it anyway... we stopped for a cuppa as it was hard work... I managed to get all loose soil out and bagged up...
once we’d filled all the bags we had a late lunch and watched the rugby...
OH went to the skip late afternoon as it’s usually quiet then and I got dinner prepared...
I was making a Thai green curry and fortunately all the items I’d asked for in my shopping were available... I make the paste from fresh ingredients as they’re easy to do and taste great...
Once that was all ready I had a shower, hair wash and then we watched England v Ireland... what a terrible game... time for England to have a new coach I think.. Eddie Jones is passed his sell by date I feel...
Once the game was over I went and cooked the curry... we had a Thai salad made from cucumbers, pepper, shredded spring onions, grated carrot and roasted cashews  over it I poured the dressing made from red chillis, soy sauce, rice vinegar garlic, ginger ... pretty hot but compliments the curry as it’s crunchy and fresh tasting...
After dinner we watched France v Wales... good match pity Wales got pipped at the post in the last minutes....
Had a message from J who broke her shoulder to say she’d had to go to hospital yesterday and today with what started off as a stitch pain in her back progressing to something more alarming... now on meds for blood clots and inflammation of fluid around her lung... getting out of breath easily when talking becoming very painful...sounds horrendous poor thing....
Retired to bed early is has quite tired!
Good to be outside being productive and weather was pleasant up to about 14C...

Hope others are feeling more uplifted with better weather too!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 21 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Oooo Roobarb, I forgot about your vaccination too. Glad it was quick and you felt safe whilst in the surgery. Please keep us up to date with how you are feeling. I’m very interested in how everyone there gets on with it before our turn comes around.  :)

Caroline, what horrible news for your friend - it sounds dreadful, and quite worrying.

I am enjoying reading about your fencing adventures.  :)

Your green curry and salad sounds lovely. I haven’t made this in a while, but Thai beef salad is very good for the summer months. I like to add some of the Thai herbs but they are hard to buy even though I live in an area with lots of Chinese/Aisian supermarkets. I have a lemongrass plant, and a kaffir lime tree, neither of which perform very well, but it is the ingredients like Thai basil which I think makes the dish, which are difficult to find. Perhaps not the right season.

Humid and sunny weather here. The odd slight drizzle. Nothing of interest happened.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 March 21 07:55 GMT (UK) »
No worries ladies, I didn't expect you to remember my vaccination date. Am feeling fine this morning, awake rather early for me, in fact I laid there for quite a while thinking I can't get up yet! Cuppa in hand now and back in situ for the moment! The arm where I was injected feels a little bit heavy but not sore, so...... to rest or not to rest later? We'll see.  :D

Caroline, I'm not surprised you were tired after all that activity. The tree roots must have been massive, not the sort of tree you'd expect in a garden, more usual in a churchyard. Hope you don't encounter any more major obstacles.
Your poor friend, hope she soon improves. Your culinary adventures sound amazing, your OH is very lucky to be treated to these restaurant quality meals as a reward for his hard work.

Ruskie, I'll let you know if I experience any other effects today. Hope it's not too long before you get your vaccination, I'm sure it will be reassuring for you.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Good to know your vac was swift and easy Roobarb.... as you have got thus far without ill effects, I will be surprised if you develop any now..... fingers crossed.

Fencing adventures... (great way of putting it Ruskie.....) definitely a good way to keep busy evidently.
Dreadful news about your friend J, Caroline, thank heavens she got rapid attention.
Wonderful you make fresh pasta!!

The epic rain and flooding in Oz sounds awful.

Took a lovely walk around the hilly estate nearby in Paignton, lots of flowers and blossoming trees/shrubs to admire.  One house we passed I commented on the mass of berries on a laurel. Good job I wasn't rude as the lady popped up from behind her wall to see who was speaking, :P  so we had a little chat.
Rugby for the rest of the day, while I read an entire book.
I did happen to catch the barn raising from 7 Brides, between matches, which alleviated the pain a little.

(Paula Hawkins: "Into the water". I can't say I found it entertaining or uplifting.  Only finished it because I needed to know who dunnit and why.)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 March 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I thought Into the Water was dreadful too MH, I finished it for the same reasons. Your walk around Paignton sounds lovely.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 March 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I thought Into the Water was dreadful too MH, I finished it for the same reasons.

I didn't like to be quite SO disparaging Roobarb, but truthfully you are not wrong. :D

I can recommend "Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine".

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 21 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Glad you are feeling well Roobarb. It wasn’t that long ago you booked your appointment - your V day seems to have come around very quickly.  ;)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 March 21 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, I'm feeling more positive about things already.  :)

It must be the Northerner in me coming out MH, the tendency to call a spade a b****y shovel! I've read Eleanor Oliphant, absolutely loved it, I keep looking out for the author's next book.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham