Author Topic: Warwick Militia lists  (Read 5752 times)

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
Warwick Militia lists
« on: Sunday 08 August 04 01:04 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of or where I might be able to find Warwick Militia lists.
The year would be around 1885.
Thankyou
Jennean
Wiggins...Essex, Middlesex
Hawkes...Birmingham
Bentick/Bentock/Bentinck...
Hayne...Silversmith..London

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: Warwick Militia lists
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 04 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennean,
I do not know if anyone has the records ythat you require on disc, but I tried puttiing Warwickshire Militia Lists in on Google and it produced many sites. Hope one of them might help you.
Regards, Frances
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 12:09 BST (UK) »
Jennean

My Great Grandfather was in the Militia (Royal Warwickshire).I discovered this from the entry under "fathers occupation" on his eldest daughters birth certificate.Everyone i asked,as to where i could find the Warwickshire Militia Records,pointed me in one direction,The National Archive at Kew.

I went on to their on-line catalogue and found that all Militia Records are kept in file series WO 96.Their full title is Militia Attestation Papers,1806 to 1915.This would cover the period you are interested in,(there are 1522 boxes in all).

The papers they hold for the 5th/6th Royal Warwickshire covers the period 1885 to 1907.They are boxed alphabetically and by seniority within each box.I found my Great Grandfathers records in Box Wo 96/123 (his surname is White).Quiet a moment when i had in my hand documents that had been handled and signed by my Great Grandfather as a 18 year old !!.

From these papers i found that he had served in the Boer War,between April 1900 and May 1901,when the 6th Royal Warwicks came home,When they got home their place in South Africa was staken by the 5th Royal Warwicks.

I assume from your signature you would be looking for the surname "Hawke".Those boxes would be a little earlier in the series.

I hope this is of some help,i would have replied earlier but i've been on holiday for two weeks.

Stephen
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 12:22 BST (UK) »
Jennean

I might be jumping the gun here,but just in case the name you are interested in is Hawke,the file you may want is WO 96/106 (hard-hew).Titled "6th Foot (Royal Warwickshire) 1885 to 1907.

These documents are not available on line,they can only be viewed by visiting in person.

Stephen
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline jennean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Searching my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 04 08:39 BST (UK) »
Stephen,

Thankyou very much for the info...sorry about late reply but only just realised today that someone had actually replied to my original.  Being in Australia makes research very difficult at times..  I may have to leave this one until I can hire someone to look for me..  or, better still, have a holiday to the UK. ::)

Once again,  thankyou very much for your time and reply.

Jennean in Oz.
Wiggins...Essex, Middlesex
Hawkes...Birmingham
Bentick/Bentock/Bentinck...
Hayne...Silversmith..London