Author Topic: Ancestry - Never had this response before!  (Read 1838 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Never had this response before!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 21 19:05 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know the comments can  be seen ..I had a similar problem a few years ago with a lady in Florida had all the wrong information on my Grandma's family attached to hers ..I got the same response as you Lizzie  :( ..I also came across another person who has my Mother on her tree all the correct dates of her birth and death and she has a picture of a lady attached to my Mother and it's certainly not my Mother ???..I did leave a comment and sent a message but no response it's a bit annoying

Rosie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 March 21 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I really don't know what these people gain from adding all the wrong info to their trees.  You'd think they'd want to trace their own ancestors not steal other peoples.  It must just be a game to them, collecting as many names as they can.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 March 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I really don't know what these people gain from adding all the wrong info to their trees.  You'd think they'd want to trace their own ancestors not steal other peoples.  It must just be a game to them, collecting as many names as they can.

You might just have GOT IT IN ONE!!!   :o :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I got all excited the other day when looking through DNA matches thinking I might have found a missing link....
Oh dear how wrong you can be.... well actually they could be! Sadly a lady in America...
She’d got one of my ancestors marrying at 12 years old in Uk
Then a child born to him a year later in America...
Then he miraculously moves back to the Uk and dies aged 110!
All this in the mid/ late 1800’s ...
I ask you do these people ever join up the dots one in fact even look at the dates related to ages...
I’m not going to even bother to communicate as I know ..
A) I won’t get an answer
B) they wouldn’t correct it either...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Why is it normally Americans who do this?  It must be a competition to have more "ancestors" than other people.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Why is it normally Americans who do this?  It must be a competition to have more "ancestors" than other people.

Because they get so excited  :D Update just checked the tree that had the wrong picture attached to my Mother and it's been removed ..It would have been nice to have had  reply but unfortunately not  ::)

Rosie

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 13:02 GMT (UK) »

Two thoughts.......
Lots of American LDS who 'research' their ancestry as part of their religion and collect all and any data sending it in batches of 200 names/details to their church so it is added to their collections. It is not checked/verified and they 'feel' ( I am told by my oldest British friend who is LDS) that they gain a higher recognition by their church, some do research, some just collect and add whatever they find/or make up to get their 200 batch...so used to be called the IGI, now it is called  'collections' and we all know how great it is BUT also that it is just a clue to check and find IF there is a real record or not

and

America is a very big country, many assume because  Britain/Ireland is small that there is only one person called by that name in Britain/Ireland added to the lack of geography knowledge about Britain/Ireland

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I have had a similar experience & again with an American researcher.  One of my ancestors married an English girl whose father was American.

The father is on 4 English censuses and I have his marriage & death certs plus daughters birth cert - all in England.  Somebody else’s tree has all these events being in America.

I contacted the tree owner who responded that they were right and I was wrong - no other explanation.  I offered to send copies of all 3 certs but was told my research was clearly wrong and they were in no doubt that their own research was correct.

Impossible to either help or reason with people with that type of attitude

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 14:40 GMT (UK) »

Impossible to either help or reason with people with that type of attitude

I think we just have to accept that, if we are as sure as possible that we are correct and can back it up with proof, if they don't want help and are content to have a tree that isn't right, that's up to them. No point stressing about it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk