Author Topic: Ancestry - Never had this response before!  (Read 4125 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Ancestry - Never had this response before!
« on: Sunday 21 March 21 12:25 GMT (UK) »
One of Ancestry's hints led me to a tree of an American woman, where yet again the person had obviously copied wrong information, linking my g.grandfather to family A that has nothing to do with my ancestor and someone who has a direct link to family A has done a DNA test which shows there is no match.  I contacted this American to ask her if she would kindly remove the information she had on her tree which related to my g.grandfather.  I know family A has a man of the same name but he is not my grandfather.  He is a couple or so years younger and the direct ancestor has researched and found he never left London, whereas my g.grandfather went to Hull, where he lived for over 50 years, dying there too.

Firstly I got a response on the lines of how dare I question her tree.  I wrote back explaining why the information was wrong.  She said she had done her DNA and that would prove she was right.  Guess what - no link with my DNA.  So I wrote to her again and said she had obviously found the information on another tree rather than researching it herself - red rag to a bull ::) ::)

Today, I got another reply saying it was no business of mine if she had the information about my g.grandfather on her tree.  What? Now she's blocked me so I can't respond!  She obviously knows she's wrong and that she's copied wrong info from another Ancestry tree - and there are lots of them, plus she has 35,674 people on her tree - I wonder how many of those she's copied from other trees, either rightly or wrongly.  Of course, this wrong information is spread all over Ancestry.  Sad really because in the future, another ancestor of my g.grandfather may be looking for answers as to their origins and find all these trees and think that because there are so many with the same info it must be correct.  I know who put up the wrong information originally (a distant relative) and she removed it as soon as I asked her to, but it was too late the damage was done.

Actually, I have had a few DNA matches who link to each other too and having researched their family trees, either by myself or with their help, they all lead to the same Jewish ancestor.  However, I can't find the missing link to prove which of the children/grandchildren of the ancestor is my g.grandfather's parent.  My feeling is he was illegitimate and his birth not registered. 

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Never had this response before!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 21 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it may be helpful to future generations if you make mention of this "error" of hers, within your tree - several trees have "picked up" a scottish born ancestor of ours, and translated /confused / merged him with a Cheshire born one of theirs, and refused to accept corrections, so I managed to put the incorrect information on my tree, captioned at every stage "NOT the same man....." - which kept me calm, and may help others in time.
You're obviously going to get nowhere banging your head against this idiot - get even, and be smug!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 21 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Lizzie that was a terrible response from someone, especially when most people try to help each other.   35,674 is a serious name collector.

Take Care
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 March 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Threlfall - yes I could do that.  I doubt I'm ever going to find his correct date of birth and mother - or parents - but I could put by his name the people who are not his parents and a note that all the trees on Ancestry who have the wrong information probably have everything else wrong too.

I'm hoping that I might, eventually, get nearer to my g.grandfather's parents but I doubt it.  At least on my private tree I can put a link to the 2nd tree I have - fortunately Legacy lets you run two trees side by side and point my ancestors to their long lost Jewish family.  If, of course, they're even interested.

Sandra - Obviously a name collector and didn't like being pulled up about it.  She has her photo at the top of her tree and all I can say is I wouldn't like to meet her in person. ;D

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Good luck, LizzieW -  For me it worked. Sorting and recording the two different chaps ( their wives had the same first name, even, and there were only a couple of years difference in their ages, so at first I wasn't at all surprised that someone had become confused, but "mine" was always Scots born,and lived in Scotland or Cumberland, and the "imposter started - and finished - as Cheshire born, with a sortie into Lancashire in the middle! Really couldn't see how -once they were told - any one could fail to realise the difference!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 21 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I've renamed my George's parents as "Henry Wright is not his father do not copy wrong info" and his mother as "Priscilla Galliers is not his mother do not copy wrong info".  Hopefully this will work. There is, however, a man with the same name as my g.grandfather who is the son of Henry and Priscilla and many trees have the correct information about this man.  It's just the numerous other trees that have given their son, my g.grandfather's partner, children and grandchildren that annoys me.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 March 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
You've done what you can. You can't do more. Pour a glass and relax, now.
TY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 March 21 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Excuse me for this - I don't have a tree on Ancestry, so I could be absolutely "talking out of my hat".   :-*

I have found on numerous occasions that tree owners have the wrong information about my ancestors, and I have tried to contact them, without result.  BUT what I have done is add a "Comment" against the tree individual, pointing out the error.

Question - can tree owners delete such "Comments", or are they there for eternity?  In other words, am I wasting my time?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if they can be deleted.  It was such a comment of mine that so annoyed the American woman who sent me a message saying she didn't like my "public" message and I should have contacted her privately.  When I did the result was as I said in my OP.  As she's blocked me I can't see if my comment is still there.