Author Topic: Ancestry - Never had this response before!  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Never had this response before!
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 March 21 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Sad really because in the future, another ancestor of my g.grandfather may be looking for answers as to their origins and find all these trees.

I really don't think that is likely to happen. ;D
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 March 21 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Sad really because in the future, another ancestor of my g.grandfather may be looking for answers as to their origins and find all these trees.

I really don't think that is likely to happen. ;D

;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I have found that adding 'Comments' to a person's profile can help, especially where there is dispute/confusion, and also sometimes by adding a couple of asterisks before or after a particular person's name...which will then lead anyone to read the comments.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 March 21 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I have found that adding 'Comments' to a person's profile can help, especially where there is dispute/confusion, and also sometimes by adding a couple of asterisks before or after a particular person's name...which will then lead anyone to read the comments.

Hi lydiaann, yes adding the asterisks can help. For example Betty "Roberts" Winterbottom.

But why would it be necessary to put 'base born' in her profile name.

In the case of Betty Winterbottom (1753 - 1773) there is no confusion or dispute regarding her parentage.

She was baptised in 1753 'Betty Daughter of Lucy Roberts, Spinster & Henry Winterbottom, Clothier'. She wasn't recorded as the reputed daughter of Henry, which would indicate she was accepted as Henry Winterbotttom's daughter.

The register did not say she was 'base born' or allude to anything of that nature.

Her parents married in 1758 'Henry Winterbottom, Clothier of Thorns and Lucy Roberts, Spinster of Saddleworth'.

And she was buried in 1773 'Betty Daughter of Henry Winterbottom, Clothier, and his Wife Lucy of Round Hill'.

In between her parent's marriage and her burial, 5 of her siblings were born at Round Hill, all entered in the baptism registers as Son/Daughter of 'Henry Winterbottom, Clothier, and his Wife Lucy of Round Hill'.

If Betty's identity needed further clarification, wouldn't it be more useful to add a 'Marriage of Parents' Fact/Event to Betty's profile and enter the date and place where her parents were married. You can even attach their marriage register to her profile, but this does take a little tinkering around.

Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield