Author Topic: Registered under two surnames  (Read 3253 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Registered under two surnames
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 07:39 GMT (UK) »
I think the S refers to September quarter of 1923 when birth was registered.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 07:46 GMT (UK) »
The S refers to the September quarter of 1923 as per Josey's Reply#36 

Freebmd show it as:-

Births Jun 1907
Bywater    Leslie        Islington    1b   ___
BYWATER    Leslie        Islington    1b   Sep23

This has already been referred to in earlier posts - Reply#8 & Reply#14
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 09:29 GMT (UK) »
It appears to be a late registration ( although I'd want to see the actual entry to be more certain). I can see no likely original registration in 1907, although it's always possible a registration could have been done under some pretend/married name which would make it difficult to trace. If it was a re-registration you would usually expect a marginal note saying "previously registered  on ....." or something similar ( although they don't always get noted that way).

It isn't a re-registration under the Legitimacy Act, because that hadn't been introduced in 1923.

From the details on the certificate given before - it appears to be a simple late registration giving details of a birth to an unmarried woman (but who has since married). As she appears on the entry with two surnames, the entry is indexed under both Gadsby and Bywater.

There is nothing to indicate Mr Bywater is the father. If he was - he could have been named on the entry as the father if he had attended the registration and signed as a joint informant, which he obviously didn't do.

Having gone to the trouble of getting authority for a such a late registration, which would have needed an application to the Registrar General, then if he had been the father, I would have expected the couple to have made sure he did get his name on the entry as such.

Late registrations or re-registrations are never connected with any sort of adoption, or step parent being added.

Offline cstevens21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 18:24 GMT (UK) »
AntonyMMM - thank you so much for explaining everything so clearly and it all makes sense, although I had hoped to be able to tell my mum that JS Bywater - the man that gave her, her name - was really her grandfather.   Leslie did use that name Bywater throughout his life.  Thank you so much again.