Author Topic: The Tempests of Duffield  (Read 1434 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: The Tempests of Duffield
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Ancestry also have same incorrect info, the surname ?Empres.  Have made correction.

“ Elizabeth was Bpt 3rd March 1721/2 dau of Michael Tempest of Burley

Obviously Ancestry is using Family search Transcriptions.

No luck with Dorothy.

The marriage you quote Michael Tempest to Mary Wood, took place at Radford Nottinghamshire
8th July 1699. I cannot see any images on Ancestry, Findmypast or Family search just transcripts.
The only reliable info on this marriage is from Phillimore Nottinghamshire marriages as quoted above,
However the entry does not state they were from another parish with Phillimore this usually means they were both of the Parish of Radford.

Can you give the names and birth dates for all the children born to Michael and Mary, with a marriage of 1699 there must have been other children prior to 1716.  I have found a John 1709 son of Michael Tempest of Burley.

Perhaps you know already that Michael and Mary  appears to originated Nottinghsmshire.

Soendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 March 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I did not pick up your message sooner, thank you for your reply.

Yes, the marriage took place in Nottingham and Mary Wood was from Radford. The consensus seems to be that Michael Tempest came from Duffield but I have not found his birth.

I have not been able to find any other births for Michael and Mary and there seems to be quite a gap between the children.

Dorothy is a problem as the LDS records originally gave her baptism as 28.2.1715 which was the same as Michael's (now corrected). I had thought they were twins. Having looked through the parish records there is no sign of Dorothy so far. The nearest I have found is a Dorathy Tempas bap 20 May 1704 at Stanton by Dale, Derbyshire, father Michaell Tempas. I cannot see the actual record.

So only 3 children I can be certain of; John, Michael and Elizabeth.

When I was given the information about the Tempests, many years ago I was told they had a connection with Peckwash Mill. It seems a Thomas Tempest "a member of a prominent Duffield landowning family" bought it in the mid c18th.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 March 21 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

That’s fine pleased to assist.

The Bpt for Dorothy in Parish Register, the Surname on Ancestry is Tempus - difficult to read

However the Bpt from Bishops transcripts is clear, it is on 6th line up from bottom

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-3864?i=22&cat=322544

Not so sure they are your Tempest family as Tempas appears to be another surname.

Will have a look re Tempest and Peck Wash Mill.

Spendlove
(Managed to type correct name this time)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 March 21 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Info re Thomss of Peckwash, his will is on find my past.

http://www.derwentvalleymills.org/discover/derwent-valley-mills-history/derwent-valley-mills-key-sites/key-sites-peckwash-mill/

I think his wife was Elizabeth Morley - will confirm tomorrow

Spendlove

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 March 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for the link.

There is a marriage record for Dorothy Tempest of Burley and John Wall of Allestree. They married at St Alkmund in March 1726. So her birth would probably have been between 1700 and 1712.
I really don't understand why the old LDS records were incorrect for this family. She is not showing up on the Family Search site.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 March 21 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Along with the difficulties of reading the register for the name 'Tempest', as we have seen, it may also partly be that, from what I remember, records on 'the old IGI site' were not only records from parish registers, but also entries of what people during their research had thought would have happened.
Such as we do now ourselves- if we are unable to find a birth for, say, the father of someone we know married in 1750, then we assume a birth of about 1725.
I think there were a lot of 'assumed' entries on the old IGI.

The 'records' section of familysearch.org, which is where we now search for people, now shows entries transcribed from parish records etc - though that's not infallible obviously.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:22 BST (UK) »

Re: Marriage of Michael Tempest.
Some of my information about the Tempests was given to me in 2007 by a lady on Genes Reunited. She in turn had had her information from someone who had been researching the Tempests for 20 years. At that time I was only using the IGI site and the GR site.However, looking through my old records I cannot see where Judith Cator first came into the picture.I usually check my sources carefully but I have no idea where this came from. The ancestry trees which name her do not give a marriage date.
Anyway I am grateful for all the suggestions given.