Author Topic: Place of birth Mexico or Poland  (Read 4074 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place of birth Mexico or Poland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Birth certificate fron Otto 1877
Thanks for the transcription, Dave.
I can find those docs, because I can recognize the names ....but unfortunately the rest of the contents can remain a bit of a mystery due to the handwriting....  ;D

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 00:35 GMT (UK) »

Maybe it is worth adding that Neurode is now called Niepoczyn and that it belongs to the village of Słajkowo.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 00:49 GMT (UK) »

My Dad was born here but he has a German Birth Certificate as well as the Australian one because he was born before WW1.

Thanks again for all the help.
Essnell

As Australia was a British Colony in those days, I think the country had more or less the same laws a the UK and other Western Countries.

Migrants would keep the nationalities of the countries they were born in, unless they paid money to the host country and asked permission to change their nationality.  In the case of your ancestor change it to "Australian".

Further if an Australian woman married (for example) a European German (or Austrian, etc), then the Australian woman would automatically become a German.  In old parlance she would become an "Alien" like her husband.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Adeline's parents :
I've just read that the "Kirchenbücher" for Schluschow were lost/destroyed. If that is true, we won't be able to use her baptism as a source of information for her parents.

Update: this seems to be the same unfortunate story for Neurode and Lantow ... :'(

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, 
Going back a few posts  -  so baby Otto was left behind in Poland. I wonder who he was left with. Then he married and they came to Australia.  Yes thanks for these links.

Many immigrants had to change ships at Port Phillip Bay, Victoria and use Coastal Shipping to reach Sydney or Brisbane.  I'll check on that for them. 

Thank you Dave for the map and the translations.  Garsonite, Thankyou for the link to Eric Kopittke. I can see if he knows anything.

Many immigrants took out Naturalisation, so they could purchase land others just to adopt the new country.  I think my ancestors were still quite tied to their origins and especially the church. In many cases people seemed to form communities with quite close ties to each other. 

So now about Adeline's parents. They are on this death Certificate..  so that sounds like the end of the trail. Odd though that that index has survived.  How far back did that go.  [thinking of Adeline's birth 1845.]

But all the problems with the wars etc who knows?

So now to the issue of DNA   ...  I have a heap of Polish matches.

Thanks all for the help and the great finds here.

Essnell

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I've just read that the "Kirchenbücher" for Schluschow were lost/destroyed.
Update: this seems to be the same unfortunate story for Neurode and Lantow ... :'(
Hi, your right on that one. I tried all the sources I know, to no avail.
What i did find was the birth record for Carl Ferdinand Martin Kopittke in Schwartow 1847

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 07:37 GMT (UK) »
?? Doesn't the Kopittke name appear in entry 4 as well??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 08:01 GMT (UK) »
so baby Otto was left behind in Poland. I wonder who he was left with. Then he married and they came to Australia. 

Otto seems to have come to Australia at least before 1903 as he's mentioned in the Electoral Rolls.
https://gw.geneanet.org/erick6?lang=en&p=otto+hermann+albert&n=kopittke mentions that he returned to Germany in Jun 1912. Of course we already know that he got married there an returned in 1914.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 08:03 GMT (UK) »
?? Doesn't the Kopittke name appear in entry 4 as well??

That's him ... Dad in Col#2, Mum in Col#3 and baby in col#4