Author Topic: Charlotte Scott [Gray] [2nd marriage?]  (Read 226 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charlotte Scott [Gray] [2nd marriage?]
« on: Monday 22 March 21 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone here might be able to help here.

The attached image shows my relative Charlotte Francis Scott [nee Gray] in the 1939 Register. What is puzzling me is what is written above it. This usually indicates a later marriage and shows that the register was amended at a later date. What puzzles me is that as far as we know Charlotte was only married once and I can't find any record of a second marriage under her name of "Scott".

The entry [written in blue] looks like either Berrett or Bennett [maybe Bekkett] but I may be wrong.

Thanks for any ideas.

Matt

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Scott [Gray] [2nd marriage?]
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 March 21 03:31 GMT (UK) »
My first thought is that they tried to "erase" the name; perhaps it was meant for the blacked out person above her. 
If you scroll down the page, you will see another person with an amendment,  with nice clear bright green ink, not the smudged version above your Charlotte.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 March 21 04:22 GMT (UK) »
I think it is BARRETT in green ink, but has been erased as it was an error. In the process of removing it, the top part of the name SCOTT has been rubbed and written in again in a blue colour.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks to bbart and Neale1961 for those points. I had not consider that it was an error and someone had tried to erase it on the register. At least that's cleared up.

Matt