Author Topic: Is there a connection? Hodgson - Brunskill  (Read 875 times)

Offline CumbriaWay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a connection? Hodgson - Brunskill
« on: Monday 22 March 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
The posting on Mary Atkinson peeked my interest as to what connections there were between the Hodgson and Brunskill families.

Mary's mother (from my digging) was Ann Robinson - Ann was married to Robert Hodgson (b. 1740) and then to Wharton Brunskill (b. 1729).  What got me curious was that Wharton's grand-daughter Ann Brunskill (b. 1813) married Thomas Hodgson (b 1811).  Thomas's father was also Thomas (b 1761 Brough under Stainmore).

What I am wondering is if there is any family connection between Thomas (sr) and Robert.

(These connections assume that my research to date has followed the correct paths.)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a connection? Hodgson - Brunskill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 21 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I am connected to the Brunswick Wharton . The Wharton family married into the eubank family of Brough under Stainmore , I happy to help. Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 21 10:28 GMT (UK) »
You might like to consider these records on freereg.

Thomas HODGSON Baptism   21 Jul 1811 Westmorland   Kirkby Stephen : St Stephen :
Parish Register
Father Thomas  Yeoman & Mary, abode Soulby

Mary WATSON to Thomas HODGSON   Marriage   22 Feb 1798   Westmorland   Kirkby Stephen : St Stephen : Parish Register

The father of this Thomas was Robert abode Soulby,

Thomas HODGSON   Baptism   25 Oct 1767   Westmorland   Kirkby Stephen : St Stephen : Other Transcript

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline CumbriaWay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 21 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback frederickay and ColC.  I don't have and Eubanks in my family tree (yet) so there may be a connection there.

Re the records referenced by ColC, those are my great-great and great-great-great grandfather's.  I am wondering if the Robert I mentioned in my initial message might be a brother of Thomas (bap 1767) or an uncle.

I was not familiar with FreeReq and will give it a further look to see what I might locate there. 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 November 21 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks to me that Robert Bapt 12 Oct 1741 (Father JOHN)  is the Father of THOMAS bapt 25 Oct 1767
(FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline CumbriaWay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 November 21 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish - are you basing the relationship on the dates from FreeReg?  I ask as the info I have would suggest that this Robert is the same Robert that married Ann Robinson in May 1767.  Info that I have been able to obtain to date suggested there were three children from that marriage - John, James and Elizabeth (Betty) but no Thomas.  If Thomas is from this marriage that would make this a shotgun / crossbow marriage as his baptism was four months after the marriage.  With Thomas and Robert being such common names it makes it hard to determine relationships without seeing more information from the records.