Author Topic: Matthew and Sarah Robbins  (Read 1580 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew and Sarah Robbins
« on: Monday 22 March 21 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where Matthew and Sarah Robbins (nee Wallinger) ended up following their removal from Droitwich to Badsey.

At Easter 1784, Matthew, wife Sarah and six children were removed from Droitwich to Badsey. Would this have been Matthew's parish of birth? I don't really understand how removal orders worked. They had only been married a few months (married 8 February 1784 at Droitwich, St Peter) despite already having seven children. Their children were:

John, 1768 at Droitwich, St Andrew
Sarah, 1770 same place
Thomas, 1771-1771 same place
Thomas, 1772 same place
William 1775 same place
Ann 1778 at Droitwich, St Peter
Lydia 1783 at Droitwich, St Andrew

Their daughter Lydia seems to have baptised four illegitimate children at Droitwich, St Peter, including Sarah 1802, John 1804, Thomas 1808 and Jane 1814. She never married and I have her death registration at Droitwich in 1838 so it would seem at least some of the Robbins family returned to Droitwich after their removal.

Their daughter Ann (my ancestor) married John Collins at Droitwich, St Peter, in 1800 and moved to Worcester.

Their son William seems to have joined the army and was discharged in 1816.

I've searched for burials for both Matthew and Sarah and nothing has turned up so far.  ???

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew and Sarah Robbins
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I think this is their daughter Sarah’s marriage at Droitwich...

11 Oct 1792, Droitwich, St Andrew
Edward Bourne and Sarah Robins married by license

Witnesses were Richard Cooke and Jemima Smith

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 08:32 GMT (UK) »
There’s a baptism for Edwin Bourne, son of Edward and Sarah. Baptism took place at Droitwich on 7 Oct 1793 but I’m not sure which church.

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
You might already have done so but the Removal Order for Matthew and Sarah is at Worcestershire Archive.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7c1c1d51-c9d4-40a6-b939-783e9eb53c34

Removal orders removed people back to their legal settlement. This was done if the family were reliant on poor relief and their current parish did not want to support them. So it suggests that Matthew and Sarah had fallen on hard times and were in need of poor relief.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 12:22 GMT (UK) »
This is the only one I can see on line (FreeREG)

Matthew ROBBINS Bapt 27 Jan 1739/40, St Mary, Tysoe, Warwickshire
Mother MARGARET Robbins

There is a Margaret ROBINS bapt there 21 Dec 1718 to WILLIAM/MARGARET
Siblings;
WILLIAM 30 Jan 1705/6
THOMAS 02 Nov 1707
MARGARET 21 Dec 1718
(may be others elsewhere)

William ROBINS of Tysoe, Warwickshire married Margaret CLEKERT* of Aston Magnus
27 May 1705, St Peter and St Paul, Blockley, Worcestershire

Margaret ROBINS buried 26 Oct 1741 Tysoe, Wife of William
Possible for William ROBINS 27 May 1750, no extra details
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both!

I have set about ordering a copy of the removal order in case it has any more details to show.

Thank you for finding a possible baptism for Matthew, trish. I will definitely consider it.

I have a copy of the parish registers for St Peter's at Droitwich and there is a potential burial for Sarah...

Sarah WARRINGER
5 Jan 1814, aged 80 (born circa 1734)

I know her maiden name was Wallinger but it's very similar! And seeing as she had seven children with Matthew before marrying him, she may have been better known by her maiden name.  ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 21 10:56 GMT (UK) »
More likely she would be buried under her married name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
I received a copy of the 1784 removal order today and it's thrown a spanner in the works  ::)

The removal order gives the ages of Matthew and Sarah's 6 children who are named as Sarah, aged 14, Thomas, aged 12, William, aged 7, Ann, aged 6, Elizabeth, aged 3, and Lydia, aged 9 months.

There is no mention of John (born 1768) so I'm assuming he died or moved away as he would have been about 16 at this time. This is the first time I have heard of Matthew and Sarah having a daughter named Elizabeth!
The only baptism I can find for Elizabeth is the one that took place at Dodderhill on 6 August 1780, only she was the daughter of Matthew and Elizabeth, not Matthew and Sarah. At first, I thought it may have been a clerical error but there was also a Hannah, baptised at Claines on 25 February 1759, daughter of Matthew and Elizabeth!

Am I looking at two Matthew Robbins' here? Or could it be possible that Matthew Robbins was married to Elizabeth but also having children with Sarah Wallinger at the same time? Which perhaps explains why Matthew and Sarah didn't marry until 1783.

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Dodderhill, St Augustine
6 August 1780
Elizabeth Robin d. of Matthew and Elizabeth Robin, of In Liberties