Author Topic: Diary > Monday 22nd March  (Read 1728 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 22nd March
« on: Tuesday 23 March 21 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Decided to have a more restful day today after doing so much yesterday. The sun was shining again, trying to tempt me to overdo things again. Covered the garden table in a large piece of plastic so I could put a large plant pot on it, I wanted to give it another coat of cobalt blue paint. The tray liners that my groceries arrive in are ideal for this once I've cut down the sides to open them out. It's good to give them another use. Painted the pot then had some lunch, was hungry early again.

After lunch I went out for the usual walk, I'd thought about going to the beach but didn't feel like a longer walk. Back home, was about to go into the garden again when my friend L phoned. We had a lengthy chat as usual, she asked if I'd had any side effects from the vaccination and was pleased that I had none. It was only then that she told me that the morning after she'd had hers she had a splitting headache and also developed a rash. A rash is one of the side effects listed as uncommon (up to 1 in 100 people). She always has to be different! She'd carefully avoided sharing that information with me until I'd had mine.
Also had a message from my friend A asking how I'd been, when I said I had no side effects she wrongly thought I'd had the Pfizer vaccine. It all seems so random the way people are affected, I was prepared for feeling unwell but of course I was pleased that I wasn't.

Painted another plant pot, a much smaller one, did a little bit of pruning and tidying up in the garden then that was it for the day apart from the usual chores.
Made myself a Sunday dinner from some roast chicken I had in the freezer and several veg, Yorkshire puds. TV in the evening as always.

Don't forget,  Tuesday 23rd is the National Day of Reflection to remember those who died during the pandemic. One minute’s silence at midday.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 22nd March
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, you’ve been very busy.  :) I’m glad to hear you had no side effects from the vaccination.

It is very odd how some have a bad reaction, and others not. I heard someone from AZ saying it is probably due to the immune system reacts, and older people seem to have fewer issues with it than younger. He was answering a question about why someone in their 30s suffered so much after the jab. I get the impression Roobarb that you’re one of the younger rather than older ones.  ;)

My Monday .... rain and more rain. I was at my daughters looking after the dog, trying to help her out a bit with some tidying and cleaning ready for her house inspection on Wednesday. She really needed to do about four loads of washing and have it dry in the sun. Everything feels damp - then gets smelly and mouldy. Some people have far worse to deal with though, with houses under water. What a disaster.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie, I must confess to being a little over 30.  ;D My friend who had the rash is a bit older than me, it certainly seems to be pot luck as to whether it affects you. I am reassured that a lack of side effects doesn't mean that my immune system isn't responding.

Can't imagine what it must be like there with that amount of rain, good to hear that the flooding hasn't affected you. Very unpleasant nevertheless to have all that dampness, I hope you soon get some respite from the rain.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course Roobarb, Ishould have said there are different immune responses.  :)

Rain is supposed to ease here tomorrow, which is my Wednesday. As I write this it is Tuesday evening  and there has been no rain for several hours.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
After testing positive 2 weeks ago, I've been isolating.
Just had my 14-day test - still positive! :(

Apart from the usual symptoms at the start (headache, fever, cough) I haven't suffered.
Just have to isolate for another week; 21 days in total.

To cheer myself up, I ordered an Indian take-away last night.
Enough food for 3 meals, I reckon! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear poor Mr Garrad, and after IoM was SO on top of the pandemic that islanders were in restaurants and at the pub while mainlanders were still in a lockdown situation! Your family must be so worried about you.

From a global perspective I find it very worrying you are not only testing +ve to the Covid virus, but STILL testing +ve after 14 days. I hope a variant hasn't managed to invade the Island.

What a good thing you haven't been hideously ill with it. 
I know my own son was far too sick to get to work when he had it, needed a convalescence period, and looked ravaged for a few weeks after.

Regarding vaccine reactions, from what I have been hearing, if there is going to be an obvious reaction, it seems to go for a person's weak spot. 
(H barely registered it, while I was proper poorly for a short time, and genuinely wondered if I was having another heart attack.  But infact, I had a worse reaction to the flu vaccine as well.)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 12:49 GMT (UK) »
The Kent Variant is rife over here - especially amongst the under 19's.
About a third of all cases are now U19! and half are under 30.

I keep in touch with my daughters and brother; so they are aware of what's going on.

21 day isolation is the norm here, with an option to test on day 14.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad you are not suffering too much Mr Garrad, but it is concerning that you are still positive. At least you haven't lost your appetite.  :)

With our hotel quarantine for returning travellers, there was a 14 day lock up period and then they were automatically let out. I think one or two tested positive after that time, so now they are testing before letting them go - seems amazing to me that a negative test hadn't always been a requirement prior to release. Haven't heard much about it recently but I presume those are still the rules.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, I do feel Uk precautions should have been modelled on Oz, though it seems there have been areas where Oz is fortunate things didn't slip.

Probably there is no point in any kind of controls in Uk by now, (15 months too late,) because with thousands of daily +ve tests, and laughable trace and isolate measures, it is all too out of control for anything other than partial lockdown to have any effect at present, it seems to me.

But to be told "the Kent Variant is rife" on IoM seems rather a worrying retrograde step, even with a 21 day isolation norm.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.