Author Topic: John Charles Kyle family  (Read 868 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: John Charles Kyle family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 23:10 GMT (UK) »
... Rachel Newell's death as March 1976 yet I know my Nanny Rita died in 1976. My nanny Rita is same person as my 2 x great Aunt Agnes Rita Duncan born 1886 and married to John Charles Kyle. She was also buried in the City Cemetery.

Agnes Kyle nee Duncan, wife of Charles Kyle, was the Agnes Kyle, aged 30, who died in 1916
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/5249f95292957
Charles registered the death. Address 202 Donegall Road matches the Agnes Kyle buried with Sarah Duncan and Rachel Newell.

So it looks like three sisters, two of whom had been married, were buried together in a plot (K1 303), near the plot of their parents and two brothers.(K1 285).

Agnes Kyle nee Duncan could not, therefore, have been mother of a child born in 1928. Also, at her birth to James and Agnes Duncan in 1885, she was not recorded with any middle name https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/b3572d9835963 nor was one noted at time of her marriage to John Charles Kyle https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/23e0521888756 .
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have had some slight shocks during my time researching family but I am really at a loss for words.

Some of my earliest memories are of visiting my Nanny Rita on the Donegal Road, then at her flat on Creevy Avenue (Braniel estate) not long before her death in 1976, aged 90. 

Her father James Duncan was a tram inspector and I have him born circa 1855 matching him being aged 88 at his death.

How could my father not know the correct name of the woman who raised him from 1947 until he married in the early 60's. Also, how could Ivy, Agnes' daughter not know....this is so hard to get my head round.

I appreciate all of your help....but right now really confused.

Kind regards

Mojo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Rachel Newell, nee Duncan was born in 1897 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/7fe46110896264 , so aged 78 at death in 1976 (burial record says 77).

Could the confusion be the use of the name, 'Rita'?  Sometimes a person's 'known as' name, for whatever reason, had no bearing on their actual name. Also, sometimes a middle name or names were added at baptism which were not on the original birth registration, and one of those, or a shortened form of, became the preferred 'known as' name.

So, for instance, and as is looking more likely, perhaps Rachel was 'Rita' whereas you thought Agnes was 'Rita'?  Did Ivy call her mum 'Rita' and did your father call the woman who brought him up (presumably Ivy's mum) 'Rita'? Could the name 'Rita' have been used for so long that even close family members forgot her birth name? Another example, from the chap in the title of this thread, is seen in that John Charles Kyle seems at times to have used Charles Kyle as his name.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could be as it's the only solution......will check with my father later today.

Thank you.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Given we now know Agnes Kyle nee Duncan died in 1916 rather than 1976, I looked for any potential subsequent marriage for John Charles Kyle.

This one, to an Eleanor McKinless, on 5th November 1921, fits:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2c98331285702

as he is a widower, and his father was named as Robert, a Railwayman.

Eleanor lived in Donegall Road.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 10:03 GMT (UK) »
And then found his 1972 death:

.    KYLE June 3. 1972. at Hospital. John Charles. dearly-loved husband of the late Eleanor Kyle. formerly of Donegal Road. Funeral from his home. 7 Glenview Crescent   

as per the Belfast Telegraph.

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Also found birth registration of a James Duncan Kyle 28th February 1916, father Charles - mother Agnes Duncan (deceased). Agnes date of death 29th February 1916.

Will try and tie all this up before speaking to my father.

Thank you again

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 17:56 GMT (UK) »

……..dearly-loved husband of the late Eleanor Kyle. formerly of Donegal Road.

This may be the death of Eleanor Kyle.

D/1948/50/1007/249/291   Eleanor Kyle   17th July 1948       64   Female    Belfast

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Register an account, log in and buy some credits. It will cost £2.50 (sterling) to view the death certificate.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo