Author Topic: Whereabouts of Robert SHERWOOD in 1939 Register  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of Robert SHERWOOD in 1939 Register
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose every death of those individuals born after 1921 has yet been tallied up with the Register, or the Register adjusted so that their entries can now be viewed.

That is true Keith. My Father died in 2015, and His name is still blanked out on the 1939 Register !
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 20:22 GMT (UK) »
A snippet of information re the 1939

Note that although the 1939 Register says whether an individual was a member of the armed forces or reserves, those on active duty in the military were not included in the headcount, even if they were billeted in the household and were there on the night of the headcount.

Ronald was probably on active duty, i.e. in a training camp somewhere.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I think that pretty much QED's things, Girlguide and Sandblown,
RHCS's entry will presumably be revealed next year, or on the other hand maybe not!  He died in 2002.   Is there someone continually updating or revealing entries for all who subscribe to viewing the 1939 Register? Or do those blank black, obscuring strips remain there always?
Keith

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
This is what find my past say about redacted entries.

When the Register was taken, it was with the understanding that the records would remain closed for the duration of the lifetime of the individuals listed. In the case of censuses, this same understanding is enshrined in law, meaning that all of the individuals listed are unavailable to view for 100 years and one day after the census being taken. In the case of the 1939 Register, however, advances in how we redact have meant that rather than a blanket blackout on all the records, we're able to show you the records of people born 100 years ago or more.

As well as giving you access to the records of these individuals, we've set up a system that will scan the Register at regular intervals, opening the records of each individual as their date of birth becomes longer than 100 years ago. This means that new records will be available to explore frequently, as more and more people pass this threshold.

However I think they go through the death records to check.  My mother was born in 1923 and died in 1992.  She is visible on the 1939 so that would suggest that FindMyPast check death records against the 1939 register.

If I recall correctly full dates of birth are shown on death records from 1969.  Dates of birth would therefore be used to assist FindMyPast to find the correct person.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that fuller explanation of everything on the 1939, Girl Guide.  I rather blundered in, late to the party as usual, hadn't done my homework properly on the guest list and what was actually being offered up.
Did wonder at first about what all those horizontal blackout strips signified!
Keith

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »
My great aunt/godmother died in 1993 but is still redacted.
My mother died in 1995 but in Canada, so is still redacted.  She lived with that aunt.  Her cousin, who died about 15 years ago is also redacted.  The other household members, her grandfather, her uncle and two other cousins, are all visible, all have passed away.

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Diana - I assume that the relatives who have died were born less than 100 years ago?

Anyone who dies abroad won't be opened until the 100 years plus one day have gone by since they were born. 

You can open a closed record on Find My Past if you have the death certificate.  You would need to know where they were living in 1939 and give names of other people in the household.  You send a scan of the death certificate.  I did that with a relative of mine who was born in 1922.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Girl Guide - I know my mother was there, so don’t really need to see the listing.  I was able to get my great-grandfather’s exact birthdate (b. 1862).  My great aunt was born in 1901 but still redacted.  Her children were all younger than my mother, all have passed away, the daughter, middle child, who died in England, is still redacted, the sons’ listings are visible.  Only my mother died outside England.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Relatives of mine who would - if alive - be in their 90s are evident in the 1939 register, and not redacted. It seems that it must be checked from time to time against deaths.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)