Author Topic: Kirk Session minutes  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirk Session minutes
« on: Tuesday 23 March 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
In case you have not noticed - The ScotlandsPeople web-site has made a part of their Virtual Library on-line, so you can now read the Kirk Session minutes for most of the Perthshire parishes from home and at no expense.

So, no more tedious trips to Edinburgh.  Well done ScotlandsPeople - much appreciated!

Throth

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Session minutes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Amen to That! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
YES
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline bcookin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
I just finished the online course for learning how to read the handwriting just so I could try to read these. Are they the type of records you might find information about illegitimate births and things like that? I’m trying to find out about a birth that happened in 1775

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 21 09:00 BST (UK) »
Are they the type of records you might find information about illegitimate births and things like that? I’m trying to find out about a birth that happened in 1775.
Yes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 May 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
I just finished the online course for learning how to read the handwriting just so I could try to read these. Are they the type of records you might find information about illegitimate births and things like that? I’m trying to find out about a birth that happened in 1775

YEs. This is what they mostly are about - about 90% of the time from the ones I've looked at.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 22:42 BST (UK) »
This is a fantastic resource. I have already found two great grandmothers in the "naughty books!", including a copy of a letter one of them wrote to the Kirk Session.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of assistance.  Please elaborate.

We have just finished the Blair Atholl Kirk Session Minutes up to 1760, but the Index takes up a lot of time and effort.  It should be ready to be up-load to the Borenich web-site by this weekend.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 May 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Here is the letter, written by my 4xgreat grandmother Jean Proudfoot to the Session at Methven.

“Struie, August 19th, 1836
I send this informing you that I have born a child to John Lawson on the 13th of August. I sent a line to him to come and remove his child or make a settlement with me which he has never made his appearance it will favour me a great deal if you will try him. And if he does not attend to you, or steps must be tried for I do not think that no married man’s child the Law can oblige me to sit under, for I no really for necessity will cause me to lay her down to him, or to you or to the world at large, for I am not able to do.
I will be obliged to you to Read this over to the Session when it meets.
               Jean Proudfoot

This letter sounds desperate, but perhaps more angry than apologetic. The Session eventually found that she had no proof to show that John was the father of her daughter. Jean must have been a strong woman. The letter shows that she could read and write. Her claim in the letter that she was unable to cope with the child may well have been intended to compel the Session to find in her favour. She brought all four of her children up alone, while working as a farm labourer and she was with her daughter Charlotte at the births of her children.

Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.