Author Topic: Thomas Gilmour. (probably GILMORE). born 24 Sept 1841, Boveedy, Coleraine, Derry  (Read 1549 times)

Offline AdmiraltyCat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am related via the Johnston family.  John Johnston (b. Betw 1793 & 1800 - 1864) was my 3xgt-grandfather.  John was a younger brother of Nancy Johnston who m. William Gilmore.

I don't know about 24 Sept birthdate.

There is a book "Goldmining at Waihi" by J B McAra, published 1978.  I have photocopies of some pages,  unfortunately not that mentioning his retirement.  In a database I have have recorded that Thomas officially retired 31 Jan 1901.  I had wondered if that was his 60th birthday,  absolutely nothing to prove it.

Baptisms from Boveedy Presbyterian church have been transcribed on
http://genealogy.torrens.org/BannValley/church/Boveedy/index.html
they start December 1841.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Baptisms from Boveedy Presbyterian church have been transcribed on
http://genealogy.torrens.org/BannValley/church/Boveedy/index.html
they start December 1841.

Unfortunately, Bann Valley records full of errors and the errors have been copied to other sites.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nice to hear from you AdmiraltyCat

I haven't quite got the Gilmore/Gilmours fixed in my head yet.

Aghadowey has generously sent me information of one side, and is preparing the other, and then I will give it a good go.

My friend is actually from Waihi and I think has at one time or another seen just about every book that was ever published about it!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
In my notes for William Gilmore & Nancy Johnston (married 17 Feb.1805) I have "Thomas Torrens’ grandfather was a brother of Nancy Johnston’s."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AdmiraltyCat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Torrens is in fact Hugh Thomas Torrens,  always called Tom.  He was an older brother of my gt-grandmother Isabella Torrens.  Their parents were Robert Torrens & Jane Johnston.  Jane's parents were John Johnston and Mary Johnston.  John's parents were James Johnston an Jane Dorrens (or Dorrans).  Nancy Johnston appears to be eldest child of James and Jane.  There is baptism record for Margaret Johnston (1790) which gives parents as "James Johnston and Jane Dorrans".

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I am interested in all these names, Johnston, Gilmour/ Gilmore and Torrens. I don't know much about the many Gilmours, so can't quite place these marriages. And which Torrenses are these? Drumsara? Hope to hear more

Offline AdmiraltyCat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yes,  they are Drumsara Torrens and Drumsara Johnstons.  I have been trying to piece together how the different Johnston families relate.  The lack of information prior to 1800 is a challenge.
I downloaded the tithe applotment book for Desertoghill from PRONI.  There is Craigavole but not Craigall.  Was Craigall known by another name?

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hello again
Over the years I have been keeping an eye on Johnstons. My maternal great aunt Mary Ann Torrens married James Johnston of Craigall. I have been in touch with a man from Maine who actually shares DNA with my husband, whose mother was either actually a Johnston from Drumsara or descended from, but so far I havent made a connection. Also have heard from a Canadian woman who has Johnstons of Calhame. And people in New Zealand who descend from Torrenses of Drumsara. SO maybe we could talk off the list, so that I can share information in slightly more detail?

Offline Nekm88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I think I am also related to the Gilmore family of this area and the McCahon family?