Author Topic: RAE / RUE  (Read 1413 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RAE / RUE
« on: Tuesday 23 March 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am Scottish, living in Canada and trying to help a friend learn about her family. Her great grandparents immigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1929. She gave me some notes that said her great grandfather David Murray HERD was born in Scotland but her great grandmother, Allison RUE, was born in France. I thought that was odd but the name does sound French.

I traced the RUE family back 2 generations in Glasgow then lost them. Then, I discovered a family with all the same given names, ages, occupations etc. written as RAE. This led me to the census of 1861 for Govan that showed James RAE as born about 1819 in Stirlingshire. Now, I am trying to find who exactly this James RAE was, his parents, town/parish of birth. His children were named Allison, Elizabeth, William, James and Margaret. Is this a family that anyone recognizes from their own tree? I can provide more information. Thank you! :)

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: RAE / RUE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Have to say I have never come across the variant Rae/Rue, but it certainly features in the family. This must be Alison's parents' banns/marriage:

James Rue and Ellison Anderson
Marriage 13 Dec 1840 in Glasgow

So, these would be Allison's paternal grandparents not parents? Who was Allison Jnr's father (William?)?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 22:47 GMT (UK) »
This must be Alison Snr's death reg:

ELLISON RUE/ANDERSON
Age 47
Mother's maiden name GRAHAM
644/1 2459
Glasgow Central District

As you know, Scottish death registrations should include full details on the parents of the deceased if known to the informant.

You could check James Rue/Rae's death reg to see what shows for his parents' names. There is a possible death in 1864 where the age has not been indexed (but shows on the original image of the registration):

JAMES RUE
Mother's maiden name PATON
644/9 778
Tradeston

The Tradeston area of Glasgow is where the family show as living on the 1861 census.

A George Rue and Elizabeth Paton show as having some children in the early 1800s in Stirlingshire (can't see an entry for James though) and surrounding areas. As always, best to confirm through James's death reg.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 21 01:36 GMT (UK) »
This is what SP has for the marriage
ROW GEORGE/ELIZABETH PATOUN
15/07/1798  St Ninians.
(I looked its definitely written as Row)

The three Children born there definitely Rue.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 07:15 GMT (UK) »
The marriage 13 Dec 1840, Glasgow reads –: “James Rue, Smith in Glasgow, and Ellison Anderson residing there.” So no useful information there!

Another possible death with an age that fits the age of census
Rae James, age 52,
1871 Tradeston
644/9 1269

Looking through Scotland’s People, I can see these names that sound French and might be pronounced Rué or Rae: ROYET, ROWET, ROYER.
Then also these ROW, ROY, RAY, REA
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline tisnoti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi. I typed this before, but it disappeared, so just in case...here it is again

James Rue 1824-1864 and Ellison Anderson's 1829-1871 were my 4th great grandparents. Their daughter, also Ellison 1844-1890  married my 3rd great grandfather. Andrew Watson in 1861 when the were both 18. Their son, also Andrew Watson was born 1872 and went on to become my great grandfather and his wife Florence Eastwood went on to have my Grandmother, also called Ellison. Andrew Watson and Ellison Rue

I have James' parents as George Rue and Elizabeth Paton, but go no further back, as yet. James and Ellison's daughter moved to Sheffield, Yorkshire, where the are both buried. I have attached Ellison's grave details. I did try to attach Andrew's, but I says I have for too many. Hope this all helps. I have a few printouts if you want but they are too big to go on here.

I have trees on Ancestry, My Heritage and Family Search all open to the public.

Babs

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 July 21 08:21 BST (UK) »
Babs,

Your attachments were removed because they are copyrighted materials. See: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 July 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Have you got James Rue's death certificate?

There are 3 recorded baptisms of children to George Rue and Elizabeth Paton, all in the parish of St Ninians
Christian, 25 August 1798
Janet, 15 May 1800
John, 13 May 1803.

That looks like a very long gap  before the birth of James in the 1820s.

In 1841 James Rue, 20, with wife Ellison, 20 and James Anderson, 8, are in the parish of Gorbals.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emmadrajling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think I may be a definite descendant of who you are looking for…

On my grandad’s side…

I’ve got ancestry tracing back to Glasgow where the names Watson, rue, Crawford, Paton appear and I some documents on my ancestry to show if needed via email x

Down the line they ended up in Sheffield and an Andrew Watson died at only 30 which would be my… X2 or X3 great grandad , the name Andrew Watson does appear twice as you probably know it wasn’t uncommon to name their son after them.

Hope this helps! As it’s nice to know someone else is looking  :)