Author Topic: Auckland Archives Lookup - Devonport School APW  (Read 1332 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Auckland Archives Lookup - Devonport School APW
« on: Wednesday 24 March 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hoping someone may be able to assist with a lookup for Annie Elizabeth Stevenson who I believe attended this school. She was born in May 1915 so I guess she may have started school in May 1920.
Records for 1918-1923 https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=1624822
I would also like to know what school she went onto so I guess the next records for 1923 -1930
https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=1624823

There is an outside chance she moved to another school for her last couple of years but I don't know for sure. Any help would be great.

There is no rush for this lookup.

Regards
KK

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Auckland Archives Lookup - Devonport School APW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again KK.

I will see what I can do. Last night I pulled the plug, on a visit to that Archive today. I have been trying to include a visit to the Auckland branch Archive, within a few days away in greater Auckland for the last five weeks. But each attempt has fallen through, due to various factors in my busy life at home, and with the Auckland people I want to visit, not being available. The archive is an hour fifteen drive from home, but that can nearly double in commute hours, so my preference is to be Auckland based when I do visit the Archive. Say 10am to 2:30pm.

Will keep in touch,

Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Many thanks. As I said there is no rush.

Regards
KK

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hello KK.

Sorry to keep you waiting. Was able to visit the Archive on April 1st when passing on an Easter holiday trip north. Took a swag of request photos, which I have yet to find time to sort out. Hope to do so this weekend. There is evidence of a STEVENSON family attending the Devonport School in the period nominated, but not of the individual you named. Once transcribed, I will attach names for future reference, and forward relevant photos to supplied contact address.

These 'restricted' School registers are in an extremely fragile state, and it is no wonder that one has to ask, in person, for permission to view them. Hopefully they can be digitized, for easier access, in the near future, because they can contain considerable information re individuals and their guardians.

Alan.

PS Index image is only of "historic" records.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

What a star!!
As you say these registers do look very fragile. I was surprised the NZ Genealogy Society hasn't got hold of them to digitise. They were my first port of call when I was searching for these records along with a couple of other school's records.
I look forward to hearing from you sometime. No rush.
Regards
KK

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 21 11:37 BST (UK) »
14 photos forwarded to address supplied. Transcript for thread to follow.  Alan.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
Photos all received. One issue that was highlighted for me is that the person who I was looking, Annie Elizabeth Stevenson didn't appear to be there but she was. Her family called her Nancy and this was the name used in the admissions records. I had expected her 'proper name'. If I was to do this kind of request again I would include all known names.

Alan, you did an amazing job by including all the Stevensons/Stephensons in a time period so I had the bonus of picking up Nancy and another family member. You have made my day!!!

Regards
KK

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Pleased we strike it lucky SOME of the time.

As you would have seen in the supplied photo of the A4 sized request form, the biggest word by far printed upon it was a vertical RESTRICTED.

An email of thanks to the Auckland Branch of Archives NZ, for enabling me to photograph it could be in order. I pleaded your case, stating COVID had disrupted your plans to come home and do research while on a well earned break.

All the best.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 21 23:37 BST (UK) »
Transcription H/W

Devonport School Register transcription.  Photos available upon request.

Register number; Registration date; Name; Guardian & address; birth date; former school; achievement records; left & to.

2636; 12/2/1919; STEPHENSON Ernest; C/- Mrs WILLS, 3 Cowper St; b. 25/12/05; from Newton East; 28/3/1919 to W. Te Aroha

3112; 7/6/1920; Nancy STEVENSON; Mr J. H. STEVENSON, 55 Kings Parade; b. 6/5/1915 no further records

3282; 2/2/1921; Nancy STEVENSON; Mr J. H. STEVENSON, 55 Kings Parade; b. 6/5/1915; records noted 1926 ~ 1929; attained 6P; on to Grammar School

3756; 1/5/1922; Linton STEVENSON; Mr F. STEVENSON, 55 Kings Parade; b. 1/5/17; records noted 1927 ~ 1929; attained 5P before moving to ‘Belmont’. [Presumably BELMONT SCHOOL a little further along the North Shore peninsular. FF note.]

5222;  4/7/27; Poppy STEPHENSON; Mr W. J. STEPHENSON, 7 Kaipai Road; b.22/2/20; Records 1928 ~ 1933

5223; 4/7/27; Opal Loraine STEPHENSON; Mr W. J. STEPHENSON, 7 Kaipai Road; b. 16/3/22; Records 1930 ~ 1934; Ex Stanley Bay, graduated to Technical College.

E. & O. E. Fresh Fields 17/4/2021.