Author Topic: Descent from Clan Fraser  (Read 976 times)

Offline Fraser178

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Francis Fraser
    • View Profile
Descent from Clan Fraser
« on: Wednesday 24 March 21 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm currently working with a few distant relatives on a long term project where we're using a combination of Y-DNA results and genealogical records to piece together a DNA backed family tree of descent from Clan Fraser.
Currently there are a few members who claim descent from specific members of the Lovat branch, therefore we're looking for more people descended from one of the many branches of the Clan and then to use the Y-DNA results to either prove/disprove these theories. Then overtime be able to add all of these together to form quite a comprehensive tree.
The end goal would be for the Y-DNA results to be able to say that two individuals are roughly separated by X generations and this then being backed up by genealogical records to prove it, or even then being able to fill in a few gaps in the genealogical record using the Y-DNA

If you're paternally descended from Clan Fraser then please let me know if you're interesting in helping us out with the project. It would be advantageous if you know that you're descended from a specific branch/scion of the Lovat line such as;
  • Ardachy
  • Inverllochy
  • Reelig
  • Balnain
  • Erchitt
  • Strichen
  • Brea
  • Struy
  • Knockie
  • Moniack
  • Leadclune
  • Knock
  • Belladrum

There are other lines, but that's the few that came to mind! However even if you're not sure of your exact paternal Fraser origins then you're welcome as well of course.

Before anyone tells me, I'm aware of the 'Fraser and Septs' project on ftDNA but it's very American heavy and has surprisingly little male line Frasers on there. I'm also aware that not every one with the surname will be descended from the original 'Fraser' Norman settlers, due to the tendency of people taking up the surname when they moved to a new area/country. But that's the point of the project to determine the origins of the line and where they've all managed to end up.

Feel free to message me if you're interested! or even if you've already had your Y-DNA tested  :)

Thanks in advance,

Joel Fraser
Research Intrests.
Manchester:Fraser, Jennings, Reid, Worsley
Wolverhampton:Hill, Griffiths, Harper, Whitehouse, Tarbuck, Asprey
Willenhall:Aston
Wales:Griffiths,Jennings
Warwickshire: Harper
Ireland County Dublin: Reid

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descent from Clan Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 21 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joel Fraser
Your project sounds very ambitious... but you may wish to have a look at the site below... lots of Fraser's... listed ... There is also a book about the 11th Lord Lovat... at

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Highlander-Sarah-Fraser/dp/000722950X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Capt. Simon Fraser, of Beaufort, 11th Lord Lovat
https://www.clanmacfarlanegenealogy.info/genealogy/TNGWebsite/getperson.php?personID=I19740&tree=CC

Tree view at
https://www.clanmacfarlanegenealogy.info/genealogy/TNGWebsite/pedigree.php?personID=I19740&tree=CC&parentset=0&generations=8&display=compact

Might save you some time...
Regards
Mark W