Author Topic: Implications of the expression "Late of...."  (Read 591 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Implications of the expression "Late of...."
« on: Wednesday 24 March 21 21:09 GMT (UK) »
The expression "Late of (location)" can often be seen on memorial inscriptions, obituary notices, etc.
I have always wondered, can it mean either or both of the following?
- Originally of somewhere else, but late of (location), before he died, or
- Now of somewhere else, but originally from late of (location)?

Thanks for any insights!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Implications of the expression "Late of...."
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I always thought it meant that the place they died was a very new abode or possibly a hospital or nursing home and that they were fairly long time residents of the former place of abode.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I always thought it meant that the place they died was a very new abode or possibly a hospital or nursing home and that they were fairly long time residents of the former place of abode.
Liz

This is the interpretation I lean to also. But I know some folks seem to take the opposite view!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I thought the same, that it meant lately/recently.  I thought the expression "late of" may be a reversal of the words, so when people say "of late", they often mean lately/recently, for example "you've been quiet of late" and maybe they're reversed in the context of a formal announcement?

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 23:33 GMT (UK) »
"Late of" certainly means formerly, previously, earlier in life, but I doubt whether it denotes any particular perod of earlier life.

You also get a phrase such as 'late of the Royal Hussars' meaning the person was once in that regiment, or 'late vicar of this parish', all those suggesting it indicates that a major/important part of the person's life was spent in that capacity (or, in that location).
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: