Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 24th March  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 24th March
« on: Wednesday 24 March 21 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Mixed weather today, started off sunny, then clouded over for several hours but the sun came out again in the afternoon. Did my usual walk, there was a cold breeze but still enjoyed the fresh air.

Was hungry early again so had lunch a bit earlier than usual. Had a phone call from a friend, it was a nice surprise and good to chat and catch up on things.
After that I did the work necessary to bring my painting up to the stage I need to be at for my art class on Friday.
Spent most of the rest of the afternoon in the garden, I needed to wear a bodywarmer but the sun was nice. Did some more painting of the pot, gave the lawn its first cut of the year. Planted some nasturtium seeds in a couple of small pots, they fit in the tops of two urns that I have, the flowers will trail down - hopefully. Filled the bird bath, that was a popular move as soon as I went inside.

Did some ironing then it was time to make something to eat. Did my own version of some baked cod, that is I choose some ingredients, put them in with the fish and hope for the best. I sprinkled a little hot paprika on the fish and some parsley, added mushrooms, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, then baked it in the oven. Also put some cooked new potatoes in to brown, did some peas with it. Not up to Caroline's culinary standards but it was tasty, will do it again.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 24th March
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 21 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - Your cod dish sounds lovely... I like dishes when cook everything together!
Your gardens going to look a picture when all your seeds pop up... they’re such a joy to behold.. I love lots of colour and the wonder when things start to flower..
Good luck with your art on Friday... sound like an interesting painting...

Once again I read for a while ... wanted to finish the new Steve Robinson book... I woke quite early and I could hear clattering around outside but not sure what it was... read for a while...
Once again when I pulled up the blind I noticed the fairies had miraculously got all the tools etc out ready for more fence work! When I arrived downstairs the house was empty and OH’s car was gone... more stuff required...
He arrives back some time after I’d eaten my breakfast this time with the barge boards...
I drive into our local little town to but a loaf of bread... should have been baking day today... but the fencing takes precedence! Called into the paper shop to pay my bill and on a whim I bought a lottery ticket as it’s a double roll over tonight.... one can only dream! 😂😂
Returning home I made us both a coffee and we sat for a few minutes... but I soon came indoors as it was not sunny and bit windy...
Friend called with some of their rhubarb just picked from the garden... had a quick chat about the dog situation and he said the large hole under the fence where the dog had got out now had a large log wedged in it... hole in the bank was made by the water company when that end of the road was flooded..
The ironing needed doing so got on with that and phoned a friend I’d not spoken to for a while..it was nice to have a chat... after about an hour realised my battery was almost out and it was lunch time... we said our goodbyes...
After lunch I got on with some cooking in between dashing in and out to help hold the Alice rails in place whilst OH attached them to the posts... sun was out now and it was very pleasant...
sat outside with a cuppa before loading up all bagged up clay and rubbish then OH went off to the skip...
Phoned my friend J to see how she was... breathlessness now gone, antibiotics finished, got to have daily injections to stop blood clots... amazed they didn’t start those straight after her op... OH had to do them for three weeks! She said it had been interesting looking at her X-rays and her shoulder looked a proper mess! She’s got to take blood thinners for 3-6 months then reevaluate... could have been caused from the op or trauma of the accident! Her O.H informed me he’d just finished ironing the bedding 😂😂 ...
Dinner was spaghetti I’d made earlier with enough to freeze for couple more meals..
Watched normal tv...
Exciting day tomorrow I’m going for a mammogram... think this will be my last one now... don’t think we have them post 70... but not sure.

Take care everyone and enjoy the sunshine while you can.. extra hours daylight on Sunday...

Caroline

PS - I didn’t get one number on the lottery ... one number different on each 😤😤 could have had a big party for all my RC friends if I’d won...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Re Mammograms

I found this on a NHS website

Why does breast screening stop at 70?

It does not stop at 70.

Although women aged 71 and over are not routinely invited for breast screening, they're encouraged to call their local breast screening unit to request breast screening every 3 years.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2019. The following week I received my invite for my 3 yearly mammogram! There was no tumour on my previous mammogram. At least it gave them something to compare.

Although one of the older ones, I was 68, there were people who were older than me receiving treatment at the same time. I’d definitely advise people to keep having mammograms.

The long term effects of the treatment have been dreadful but I’m still alive and recent mammogram on the remaining side (I had to have a masectomy) was clear.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Gibel - thanks for the info you posted re mammograms.... I did find that out today when I went and I asked.... I can also join the trials that are being run at Addenbrokes hospital which I intend to do as any further up information to be gained by them is all helpful...

I’m sorry that you have had such a rough time over the past few years but reassuring to know that your latest mammogram was clear...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information Gibel, what a shame that it's not more widely publicised. Sorry to hear that things have been so hard for you, good news on your latest mammogram.

Hope yours today wasn't too bad Caroline, good idea to join the trials for both you and the researchers.
Another busy day for you yesterday, I'm really jealous of your gift of fresh rhubarb! Your friend has certainly been through the mill since her injury. What would she do without freshly ironed bedding!  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I have neglected the diary, though I have been reading the daily updates.  Interesting to hear about the mammograms, I had one July 2019 and probably due for one this coming July.  I am 66 and seem to remember I would be getting fewer as time went on. 
Weather has been very nice here, hovering just below 20 c and sunny, but dropping tomorrow and more seasonal, around 10.  I have been outside in just my blouse.  Mornings have been frosty though and ground pretty hard so no fixing up of the yard yet, as it can damage the grass.  Some people do it anyway, am sure they can’t stand to see a stray leaf!  Have been watching a wasp’s nest that hangs over our fence, in the neighbour’s yard, it has been there since September, but no life there since then...it hasn’t fallen yet, but very tattered.  Whatever they use to fix it to the branch must be very strong to withstand the winter.
We do have some daffodil shoots coming up, wonderful!  Some people have snow drops and such.
More bird activity, the cardinals are singing constantly, and the mourning doves are making their mournful sounds.  A male cardinal was flitting about in the yard, think he must be a young male looking for a mate, they always travel in pairs but he was alone.  The bird feeder is up.
My brother phoned and told me that he and is partner, he is 69, so is she, will get their shots in a couple of weeks.  They are in Quebec, though, different rules, etc.  My other brother is in Niagara region, no shot for him yet, almost 74.
Have a new puzzle on the go, this one is difficult.  Even OH gave the top edge a try, to no avail, something must be out of place.  Nice scene, painting of a dock with pier and houses, etc.
Just going to go outside with a glass of wine, and book, Elizabeth I (novel) by Margaret George, quite the commitment at 660 pages!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you Diana, how lovely it must be to have 20 degrees and the birds singing. I completely approve of the book and glass of wine scenario.  :)

Rather concerning that the vaccination programme has not yet reached the over 70s in some parts there, I think we can consider ourselves lucky in the UK. Hope it soon gathers speed and you have the reassurance of being vaccinated.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Roobarb, it was nice to sit outside although it get get a bit windy.  A few sparrows discovered the bird feeder and the starlings and grackles are back, making their usual noise.
Fortunately, our Covid cases have been quite a bit lower than some countries, but we are hampered by the fact that we do not produce the vaccine here, and have to rely on the kindness of others, or at least hope they send the vaccine as promised (and purchased), but there have been delays, etc.  Have no idea how Quebec has managed to get more of the vaccine than Ontario...could be political.  I should ask my brother, he likes to hold forth on politics 😁.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 March 21 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you Diana... I was only thinking about you the other day... 20C how lovely although according to our forecast we should reach 18C on Tuesday... somewhere in the UK...
it’s interesting to hear how other countries are getting along or not with vaccine roll outs... of course the EU have thrown their toys out of the pram because we’re doing well and we’re organised getting our orders in whilst they were thinking about it, holding lots of meetings about it etc, etc! Now they’ve got egg on their faces and it’s our fault 😤😤... and they’ve now going into another lockdown and it’s yet again tge British variant that’s the problem!.... sorry I’m on me soap box here... I’ll shut up and go away... need to book Wimpole Hall for Friday next week and slots available after midnight... see you soon...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK