Author Topic: Impossible Date And Out-Of-Sequence Numbering on 1870 Marriage  (Read 830 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Impossible Date And Out-Of-Sequence Numbering on 1870 Marriage
« on: Thursday 25 March 21 03:01 GMT (UK) »
See marriage of Mary Sheridan on "February 29th", which is impossible. And the index numbers are non-sequential, even for same church!

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11377/8177033.pdf
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible Date And Out-Of-Sequence Numbering on 1870 Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 21 17:22 BST (UK) »
of course you are correct,  the leap years around were 1868, 1872,.  That first entry for Miles Doyle is numbered as no 62
the next entry  No 60 or 66 is for 1st March John Forrestal marriage, the last entry is Patrick Sinnott marriage numbered 64.  At the bottom of the page this was a true copy of only two of the marriages marriages certified by John kennedy Superintendent registrar. The transcriber uses a developed style of exaggerating certain letter with a flourish scroll version  for chosen letters like P or d,
the page number stamp 7033 the next page 7034 dealing with January is by a different more accurate transcriber ,where there are year dates for every marriage,and no fancy scrolls.
I think a look at the real original if extanct would solve the problem of the transcriber. Perhaps  you have already reported it to ie  management.
well reported here, thank you.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 21 18:03 BST (UK) »
I would say it a squiggle of a 3.
These are not Church records they are the Civil records.
62 and 64 are for the same Church.
When you see the bottom of the page, it only states the 1st and the last entry of any page, this is what the registrar was confirming.
That is the original copy, what you get as certificate is a copy of what you see in that entry.
You would have to see the Church Book to match the information.
Maggsie

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
thank you Maggsie, i'm still learning age 85
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Good on you!
One of my tree owners had my GGGG Aunt as Margaret Lee.
They said they got it from a ship record.
It said John Kennedy and Margaret his wife.
They read it as John Kennedy and Margaret Lee wife.
The his was a squiggle, Margaret's maiden name was Kennedy, instead of putting  Kennedy they just put wife, as they had the same surnames....it was to save ink!
Maggsie