Author Topic: Corcoran Dominic b. c.1908 and William b.c.1910  (Read 995 times)

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corcoran Dominic b. c.1908 and William b.c.1910
« on: Thursday 25 March 21 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Good morning everyone,

I am needing help with the above brothers who were born Rotherham Yorkshire England acc. to census 1911. Father William Corcoran, mother Martha Ellis married Q1.1907 Pontefract Yorkshire.
What I have found (I believe) is William arrived Quebec 7 August 1926 he has become William Gerald Corcoran aged 16 on way to Ontario via Goverment. Not sure why Gerald appears now as not on birth reg.
William 22 occ. waiter, married Hilda Florence Page 19, occ housemaid on 10 May 1932, parents as above, in Toronto. Hilda's parents Herbert Page and Emma ( Bramble) although she doesn't appear to know mother's maiden name at that time.
1940 William and Hilda reside 10 Pine Terrace, Danforth, 1953 William G. Corcoran and Hilda F reside at 12 Pine ave., both times he is a manager. Then it becomes sticky, no sign of William but a Hilda Corcoran is at 525 Lingston Rd, Danforth, then I have lost them both. Hilda was my relative.
To add this confusion..
Dominic Patrick Corcoran ( no sign of the Patrick on birth reg) arrives Quebec 12 May 1929, gives his last residence as Parkgate  Rotherham (as did William), this was their address in 1911. And then no sign of Dominic until I come across 'Donald Patrick' Corcoran age 24 who married May Walsh 37 b. England parents Edward Walsh  and Jane Morris, on 5th Jan 1933 York Toronto giving his parents as William Corcoran and Martha Ellis same as William, Mr and Mrs William Corcoran of Mutual st, Toronto were witnesses. Dominic and Williams parents both dec. years before. 

I thank you for taking an interest and hope someone can shed some light on these brothers and their spouses. Sorry this is so long but have given all information I have been able to glean.
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corcoran Dominic b. c.1908 and William b.c.1910
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 21 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Obit for William in the Toronto Star 6 April 1960, page 32. 

It says that William G (Bill) Corcoran, died at Ottawa Civic Hospital on April 5 1960.   Formerly of Pine Terrace and late of Ottawa.  Husband of Hilda Page.  Father of William, J and R.  Interment Pine Hills Cemetery (which is in Toronto).

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Found William Gerald in Pine Hills Cemetery.  Don't see Hilda.   There is a William Page Corcoran in the same cemetery...died 2004.  I think he may be the son of William G Corcoran and Hilda Page.

Obit in the Toronto Star 28 Feb 2004 page B6

It says William Page Corcoran died on Feb 26 2004, age 71.  Father of B, stepfather of S "J" Jones, G "M" Lawer, W Lawer and his wife C.  Grandfather of I.  Predeceased by wife Myrna and son David Corcoran.  Companion of his first wife D Whittall.  Brother of J (H) and R (E).

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 21 05:27 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Donald Patrick Corcoran in Pine Hills Cemetery.  He died in 1952, aged 44. 

https://www.finditatmpg.com/Details.aspx?GID=7Pac7WLyIuvWzsKBdrAsaw%3d%3d

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Obituary for Donald Corcoran (no middle name given) in the Globe and Mail paper 25 April 1952, page 23.

It says Donald Corcoran died at the Toronto East General Hospital on 23 April 1952.  Husband of May Walsh. Address 58 Galbraith Ave.  In his 45th year. Brother of Kathleen and William.  Interment Pine Hills Cemetery.

RK

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 21 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much RunKitty, this is such a big help, all parties tie together but why Dominic became Donald beats me.
So it appears our Hilda and William had three children we never knew about and so the search for Hilda and family goes on.
Again thank you,your help is much appreciated,

Chooch

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 March 21 00:18 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome :)

I wonder if Hilda lived in Ottawa (where William died)?  Perhaps she married again?

I can't post the names of the other 2 sons of William and Hilda - because it is likely that they are still living.  I will PM their names to you...and the other full names I omitted from the obits. 

RK

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 March 21 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Message received thank you, all the information gives me more leads into finding Hilda and I am so very grateful to you. I have been trying to find what happened to her for several years.
 Chooch :-*

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Were the family Catholic?

The reason I ask is, I also have family who acquired middle names which were not on their baptism/birth records & have often wondered if they were confirmation names?

When Catholics are confirmed they choose the name of a Saint which is the only reason I can come up with  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"