Author Topic: Can anyone translate Italian memorial in local cemetery?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone translate Italian memorial in local cemetery?
« on: Thursday 25 March 21 07:23 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/220379038/alessandro-luigi-amodeo

On 9 December 1880, Alessandro Luigi Amodeo died and was buried in Section D General, Preston Cemetery, North Shields. 

I am a contributor to Find A Grave and I have taken a photo of the memorial and sent this with the Italian inscription to the people who are the managers of this memorial and they have kindly put this up.  However, I would also like to send the English translation as I think this might help reveal his story more to interested parties who may not understand Italian.

I did have a go myself at an attempt to translate using Google translate but one word came out as 'kidnapped'.  I think this surely can't be right in the context.  I am now asking for some help with this in the hope that someone out there might understand Italian and might be able to relate a true version.  This is the Italian inscription as I can make out:

'REQUIETORIO
DI
LUIGIA AMODEO
QUARANTAQUATTRENNE
RAPITA ALLE
AMOROSE CURE DI
ALESSANDRO
SUO CONSORTE
CHE IN ESSA HA PERDUTO
DELLA VITA UN CONFORTO
DIO LA SI RITOLSE
IL 12 APRIL 1878

ADDI 9 DICEMBRE 1880
FUNGENDO IL SUO MUNERF
A BORDO DI NAVIGLIO
PER FATALE INCIAMPO PIAMBATO
NEL VANO DELLA STIVA E SALVAVA
NEL SIGNORE L'ANIMA BENEDETTA
ALESSANDRO LUIGI AMODEO
CAPITANO MARITTIMO D'ANNI 52

RIUNITOSI ALLA LUIGIA SUA
DILETTA QUI RACCOLTA
LASCIO' NEL LUTTO
I FRATELLI E LA SORELLA
GABRIELE, PIETRO, E LUCIA
IN TRIESTE
ALLE RICONGIUNTE CENERI
DEI LORO CARI INVOCANDO
ESSI ETERNA PACE'

Thank you for reading this - any help will be most appreciated.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone translate Italian memorial in local cemetery?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 21 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I think your "kidnapped" would be "taken" in this context.

This is what I've gleaned from it, probably won't help. (Warning, my only Italian textbooks were picture books many years ago.)

Luigia Amadeo 44 taken from the loving care of Alessandro her husband lost her life ....(comforted by God in the rites?) 12 April 1878. (It might mean she received the Last Rites before death.)

Also 9th December 1880 

blessed soul of
 Alessandro Luigi Amodeo
sea captain aged 52

reunited with his Luigia
brothers and sisters
Gabrielle, Pietro and Lucia
in Trieste

may they have eternal peace

You've probably already got that much. I'm only practising. It's good for the brain.  I'll be interested to see an accurate translation.
Cowban

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, A translate site says.....

'REQUEST OF LUIGIA AMODEO
FORTY-FOUR-YEARS
KIDNAPPED TO LOVING CARE OF
ALEXANDER HIS CONSORT
THAT IT HAS LOST OF LIFE A COMFORT
GOD WITHDRAW IT
APRIL 12, 1878

ADD 9 DECEMBER 1880
WORKING HIS MUNERF ON BOARD OF NAVIGLIO
PIAMBATO TRIPPING FOR FATAL
IN THE COMPARTMENT OF THE HOLD AND SAVED
IN THE LORD THE BLESSED SOUL
ALESSANDRO LUIGI AMODEO
MARITIME CAPTAIN OF YEARS 52

MEETING WITH LUIGIA SUA DILETTA
COLLECTED HERE LEAVED IN MOURNING
THE BROTHERS AND THE SISTER
GABRIELE, PIETRO, AND LUCIA
IN TRIESTE
TO THE ASH RECONJUNCTIONS
OF THEIR DEAR ONES INVOKING
THEY ETERNAL PEACE '

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for these interpretations.  This has been very helpful. :)

I have checked Freebmd and I think it looks like his wife died in this area too and that her full name was Christina Luigia Amodeo.

For 'Requietorio' translate I got requietory, which might mean sepulcher. (Sorry, I have just noticed I added a slightly different word in post 1 so I have now amended)

So might a rough translation be along the lines of...?

'Memorial of Luigia Amodeo, forty four years old, taken from the loving care of Alessandro, her husband, she received the blessing of rites before returning to God on 12 April 1878.
Also, on 9 December 1880, Alessandro Luigi Amodeo suffered a fatal fall down a compartment hold whilst working on board .. and his  blessed soul was taken to the Lord.  He was a maritime Captain since 52.
Reunited with his Luigia, he leaves behind brothers and a sister, Gabriele, Pietro and Lucia in Trieste to mourn him and ask for these loved ones to receive eternal peace.'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if 44 years for the wife and 52 for Alessandro are ages or lengths of marriage and career respectively.
I only know a few Italian words. I don't do grammar.  :)

Why don't you ask the Anglo-Italian Family History Society? It's on Facebook.
Cowban

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I've had to rearrange the wording for it to make sense in English.

Resting place of Luigia Amodeo, 44 years old
Taken from the loving care of Alessandro, her husband
Who has lost a comfort from life.
God called her back on 12 April 1878

9 December 1880
Doing his work (?) 
(I can’t quite figure out “fungendo il suo munerf”. The word “munerf” should probably be  “mestiere”, -work.  if someone can take a closer look to make sure that’s what it is. When I try to enlarge the gravestone picture, it turns into 1/4 of an inch. 

Aboard the ship as a result of a fatal stumble
He fell in the hold and Alessandro Luigi Amodeo,
Marine Captain, aged 52
Entrusted to God his blessed soul 
Reunited with his beloved Luigia, resting here
He left to mourn his brothers and his sister
Gabriele, Pietro, and Lucia
In Trieste
Who for the reunited ashes of their loved ones they
Invoke eternal peace

Mary

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 March 21 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Mary for pulling things together more - I think you have done a much better job than me.
I am hoping to go back to the cemetery for another walk on a day off at some point in the next couple if weeks so I will have another close up look at the memorial to ascertain the confusing word and will try to take a closer up photo.
I am hoping to be able to send the managers' of this memorial a rough English translation in the next couple of weeks once things are agreed upon on here.  I am very grateful for all help that has come forth - thank you all very much indeed!  :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 March 21 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if the snip attached helps but there are 6 letters in that word, four out of six are reasonably clear but the 2nd and 6th are open to interpretation - depending on what has dropped off, as it looks like the letters are applied to the surface rather than chiseled into it.

M ? NER ?
2nd is likely to be O or U, 6th, not sure could be B, E, F or R depending on what may have dropped off
 I do agree with Mary that the gist of the phrase is something like doing his job / whilst carrying out his duties.
My grasp of Italian is limited to the usual please, thank you and ordering food and wine so other than that I'm no help at all :-)
Boo

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 March 21 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Boo's reply came in while I was posting mine. 

I'm thinking that those two words were either mis-transcribed by the one who chiseled the stone, especially if he didn't know the language and copied them from what the relatives gave him.  It's also possible that whoever wrote the inscription on paper made spelling mistakes or the handwriting wasn't clear.  Looking at Boo's closeup, it looks like the word has been tampered with.  My suspicion is that once the stone had been carved, paid for and erected, it would have been expensive to redo it, so someone tried to "fix" it.

Mary