Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6758 times)

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Im very new here so please forgive me if this isn't the place to ask for help!

Ive just began my Family search history after my Dad died and I am obsessed. Currently stuck with 2 separate branches of my tree.

My Great Great Grandfather was Martin Powlam. My family have always said he was Polish Russian. he married my Gr Gr Gran in North Riding Yorkshire in 1909. From here I can trace him right up until hid death. However I can trace nothing of him prior to 1909 so Ive not even any idea when he arrived in the UK.

In the 1911 census he has written he was born in Finland and his nationality is Russian. His Father was Karl Powlan (variations of surname throughout the years but even that hasn't helped my search) and no name recorded anywhere for his MOther. I can find no siblings of his or neighbours with the same name. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to look?

Many Many thanks

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome! Glad you made it.

The very first listing you see on familysearch.... is that the same man? Russian sailor from Finland?

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.givenName=Martin&q.surname=Powlam&q.birthLikePlace=finland&q.fatherGivenName=karl&count=20&offset=0&m.defaultFacets=on&m.queryRequireDefault=on&m.facetNestCollectionInCategory=on

Just checking , sure you've seen that. I ask because it seems so similar but names a wife and mother...was his wife Catherine?
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Thank you so much

Yes I have seen that. The 'Mother' is actually his Mother in Law and the child is my Great Gran Margaret. They seem to change the names around every census, marriage, birth etc

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
They married under the names Kate McDuff & Martin POWHAN in Middlesborough but children registered as Powlam mmn Duff

John

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Here's the only children I could find in the GRO under that spelling so far:

Name:    Mother's Maiden Surname:
POWLAM, ANDREW        DUFF     
GRO Reference: 1912  M Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH  Volume 09D  Page 1130

Name:    Mother's Maiden Surname:
   POWLAM, MARGARET        DUFF     
GRO Reference: 1910  J Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH  Volume 09D  Page 597

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have marriage indexed under Kate McDuff/Martin Powhan
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. Have all of the above info so far.

They moved to Scotland Paisley and had more of their children here. Some are under Powlam, Powlan and Powhan but have thoroughly researched all. Its more when did he arrive in the uk - I cant trace him any further back as have nothing on his parents or if he had siblings  ???

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
In 1911 they live with Catherine's mother Marguerite McDuff age 56 from Coatbridge Lanark Scotland, Lanarkshire. Catherine was 27 from Middlesbrough, Yorkshire and Martin was 29 from Finland. Margaret gets recorded as same spelling as mother Marguerite.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 March 21 18:05 GMT (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .