Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6750 times)

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica I already have their marriage certificate and unfortunately as the time they got married the records weren’t great. There is no parent details.
 It simply states on this day these two were married by me and present were Andrew Brown and Bridget Cooney but doesn’t tell me if they were parents or witnesses.

And both of those names wouldn’t help me either with Terence I’m afraid

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Unusual spelling of the surname for the early born children's birth regs, MCILDUFF:

James 1870 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQBC-752
Mary 1872 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQHL-W29
Julian Durnan 1874 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQHN-QX2

Terence is also AWOL for 1871:

Margaret B Mcduff 23 Head b. Gartshouse, Lanarkshire
James Mcduff 1 Son b. Coatbridge

Address: Reids Land Canal Bank Depot No 13 , Coatbridge

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica I already have their marriage certificate and unfortunately as the time they got married the records weren’t great. There is no parent details.

Sounds like you may have looked at the RC parish entry for the marriage rather than the statutory record for the marriage?

Monica

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:05 GMT (UK) »
If you sign in to SP site and go to this link...is this the file you already bought and checked?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=People&surname=mcduff&forename=terence&forename_so=starts&from_year=&to_year=&surname_so=exact&record_type=stat_marriages

In 1869 Scottish marriages almost never list witnesses but almost always list parents. (not every time though).
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:10 GMT (UK) »
This is a clip from the statutory register for the 1869 marriage:

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Terence died as follows:

MCDUFF, TERENCE        63 
GRO Reference: 1912  M Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH  Volume 09D  Page 801
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:32 GMT (UK) »
This is so helpful I am stunned. I can’t thank you both enough. Can I be so cheeky and ask you if that would be the same with my other ancestors marriage ‘certificate’ that I have that has no details at all just their names and ages.

GALBREATH, CHARLES (Old Parish Registers Marriages 565/   20 190 Houston and Killellan) Page 190 of 366 20/01/1827

Does that mean there should be a record for the above that would tell me the parents?

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Mmmmmm....no not really  ::)

Official statutory registration began in Scotland later than England & Wales, from 1855. Before that you are reliant on parish registers. Unfortunately the info on these can be very scarse, very often no more than a line with just the names of bride and groom.

When you have a marriage pre 1855, I suggest you look for a death post 1855 if this applies. Scottish death certs from 1855 include the names of the deceased person's mother and father, if known to the informant.

Monica

Added: Sorry, Alan. See you have added more to your post now.