Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6890 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry...it's hard to cut and paste this kind of thing.

List of kids from Charles and Marion:

copyright image removed

Duly noted , sorry.

Catherine Galbraith
1827–1886
John Galbraith
1829–
Mary Galbraith
1831–
Marion Galbraith
1834–
Arthur Galbraith
1834–
Jean Galbraith
1835–
Charles Galbraith
1844–
angus Galbraith
1844–
Robert Galbraith
1848–
Malcolm Galbraith
1851–

Birth of Charles Galbreath:

CHARLES GALBRAITH
Parents:
JOHN GALBRAITH/MARION ADAM
M
12/05/1800
500/
20 166
New or East Kilpatrick

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Sarah, we seemed to have moved away from your original request for info on Martin Powham. I see now he died in Paisley, Scotland in 1950. Was his mother's name not known to the informant who reported his death?

With wife Kate McDuff, hopefully you have more details to follow up on. Looks like her ancestry will take you to Ireland on both her maternal (Brown) and paternal (McDuff) lines....

I see you have your tree on Ancestry. There are a number of trees on the family of Margaret Brown such as this one www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/19453904/person/823163758/facts These include death dates for Margaret's parents. As mentioned, their death certs should be on SP letting you work back to the next generation. In the main, Margaret's mother is showing as Julia Durnan (suggest with Durnan you search where possible with wilcards suchs as Dur* or Dor*).

On the McDuff side, we have now Terence's parents as James and Mary. Not sure yet on her maiden name.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
 I was thinking if its Martin's brother then the doc could be checked for parentage. The Andrew Powlam mentioned earlier was born 1912 and this one 1884. Do we know who this Andrew is already?

ANDREW POWLAM
573/1 824
Paisley

MARTIN POWLAM
573/1 364
Paisley

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Andrew was his son. I am using my phone tonight but when I am back at work in the morning I am very excited to input all of this new information.

I truly can’t thank you all enough.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I had a math failure leading me to think it was an 1880's birth. Oopsie. I'll make up for it by, umm, er...

Here's his address from 1930:

MARTIN POWLAM
Tenant Occupier

HOUSE 99 NEILSTON ROAD

PAISLEY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »
There are these old posts on the McDuff family by someone connected to the family www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=226972.0

Monica

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Was it discussed that Andrew married Mary McNiell?

ANDREW POWLAM
parent: MARTIN

MARY MCNIELL
644/10 1742
Blythswood

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 March 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I think the Powlam family came to Scotland at some point after 1911 and the children went on to marry and make their lives there etc. If you search the surname on SP, it looks to be the only family with that surname on SP.

Monica

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 March 21 22:16 GMT (UK) »
On FS site I noticed there is an old Finnish name called Polδm (Polam).