Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6934 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #54 on: Friday 26 March 21 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum oh wow!! Should i be horrified or amused  ??? ;D

Such is life  ;D. It's stories like this that 'adds meat to the bones' of family history research. We obviously have no influence over what or ancestors did or didn't do in their lifetime, and whilst we might not always approve of it, we need to acknowledge the bad with the good, otherwise we only complete part of the picture that forms the rich tapestry of their life.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 16 May 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
Scotmum oh wow!! Should i be horrified or amused  ??? ;D

He was back in the household in 1891 and was a witness at the wedding of Martin Powlam and Kate McDuff in 1909

Hi

I have some information of Terence McDuff.  I'm researching my McIlduff ancestors and as its unusual I keep a record of anything that I might find relevent.

Terence John McIlduff (thats his surname on christening record) christened 13th August 1842 in Armagh Ireland son of James McIlduff and Mary Heenan (various spellings of mothers surname)

I've been able to find 8 children for Terence and Margaret Brown including Kate/Catherine.

Also have 6 children for James and Mary Heenan.  Family from Portadown area of Armagh - as are my own McIlduffs so assume somewhere down the line they're connected.  Don't have much info on this family but what i have I can send to you if you're interested

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 16 May 21 19:46 BST (UK) »
Fiona please yes that would be fantastic! Many thanks for this!

I will look over what I know tomorrow and will add this on.

Much appreciated :)

Sarah

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 16 May 21 20:10 BST (UK) »

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Pm me your email and I’ll send what I have   :)

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Fryman - Grimsby
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 23 May 21 17:16 BST (UK) »

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Did you get email I sent ?

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Fryman - Grimsby
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 16 September 21 02:45 BST (UK) »
Update - I finally got my DNA results and in there I found I had 10% Baltic DNA.

I found records in the poor law indexes in Paisley which Martin Powlam has completed claiming benefit relief in 1927.  On there he has written he was born in Riga, Russia. Just to confuse me further!

He has also written his parents were Edward Powlam, Seaman and Julia ?? So he mustn’t have known her surname?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 16 September 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
...or his father's forename - so how reliable is his mother's?  Your first post gave his father as Karl Powlam...and latest post says Edward.

Anyhow, now you have your DNA results, it might be worth attempting some colour clustering - see https://www.danaleeds.com/dna-color-clustering-the-leeds-method-for-easily-visualizing-matches/.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 17 September 21 08:55 BST (UK) »
Update - I finally got my DNA results and in there I found I had 10% Baltic DNA.

I found records in the poor law indexes in Paisley which Martin Powlam has completed claiming benefit relief in 1927.  On there he has written he was born in Riga, Russia. Just to confuse me further!

He has also written his parents were Edward Powlam, Seaman and Julia ?? So he mustn’t have known her surname?

Riga is now in Latvia. 

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 17 September 21 10:00 BST (UK) »