Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 March 21 18:09 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have marriage indexed under Kate McDuff/Martin Powhan

So does the GRO typed index and FreeBMD.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 March 21 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Catherine McDuff's mother Marguerite from Scotland... her maiden-name is Brown

Name:    Mother's Maiden Surname:
MCDUFF, CATHERINE        BROWN     
GRO Reference: 1883  D Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH  Volume 09D  Page 555
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 March 21 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Because it is the only entry with those names I believe this is the marriage of Marguerite Brown.

MARGARET BROWN

TERENCE JOHN MCDUFF

652/2 104
Old Monkland (Middle District)

This is very close to Coatbridge where Marguerite Brown is from.

I will continue to cross-reference and double-check. This would only make her 15 according to census age , but that could be out by some years.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 March 21 18:42 GMT (UK) »
DNA may be helpful given potential for the surname to have been originally somewhat different from Powlam/Powlan/Powhan.

Some Finnish surnames starting P, in case it could be an anglicised version of one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Finnish-language_surnames&pagefrom=Metsola#mw-pages

http://www.americanlastnames.us/last-names/Finnish/P/P-1.html

Have you tried any of the resources listed at https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Finland_Online_Genealogy_Records ?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes Alan that’s right Margaret’s surname is Brown. From census records I can see Terence was born in Ireland but again I just hit a dead end with him. Without any facts I would just be guessing which ancestors are mine. It’s so frustrating

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:19 GMT (UK) »
And yes Scotmum I am just waiting on my DNA results. Should hopefully only be 2 or 3 weeks now until they are ready.

I had a look at some of the Finnish resources and there were names that could fit Martin Powlam but again I would just be guessing or making them fit with no real facts to base them on

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:33 GMT (UK) »
So, with the details that Alan has mentioned (the family in 1891 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7RMF-Y3Z), your next step would be to look at the marriage reg for Terence and Margaret. You can view this online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  Scottish marriage certs include the names of both parents for bride and groom.

Monica

Added: Welcome to RootsChat from me too  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Sarah, Terence died 1912? Wonder where he was for 1911 as he was not with wife Margaret by the look of it.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 March 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Also listed under Catholic marriages 1869 on SP site

TERENCE JOHN MCDUFF

MARGARET BROWN
11/9/1869
Coatbridge, St Patrick's