Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6907 times)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 25 March 21 22:42 GMT (UK) »
With mention of Martin's father having been a Karl, and given the chance Powlam and variations were shortened form of actual surname, here is an 1872 marriage in Finland to keep in mind in case some day you can connect it to Powlam:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F8RX-ZXX

Karl Mattsson Peolamaki to Ida Sofia Michelsdotter Makela
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 25 March 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
There are Ellis Island arrivals from Finland with names like:  Sigrud Palum ,  parents ,  Kaarlo Palum

Karl Powlam / Kaarlo Palum  ....  hmmm

It seems that name variation is related.

Top entry:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.givenName=karl&q.surname=powlam&q.birthLikePlace=finland&q.otherSurname=powlam&count=20&offset=0&m.defaultFacets=on&m.queryRequireDefault=on&m.facetNestCollectionInCategory=on
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 25 March 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Martin was sailor on 1911 census, was this the same occ. as on his marriage in 1909 & what was the occ. of his father Karl & was he deceased?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 25 March 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of trees on the family of Margaret Brown such as this one www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/19453904/person/823163758/facts These include death dates for Margaret's parents. As mentioned, their death certs should be on SP letting you work back to the next generation. In the main, Margaret's mother is showing as Julia Durnan (suggest with Durnan you search where possible with wilcards suchs as Dur* or Dor*).
Monica

I'm confused...On the marriage cert. for Margaret in 1869 the surname of mother Judy looks like Jamieson  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:02 GMT (UK) »
On his death cert it says that Martin was a boiler fixerman. His father Karl a seaman.

They spell Martin's surname Powlam (underlined L) and Karl Powham (underlined H)

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Martin's occ. looks like Boiler Fireman?

Pity it's not much help with mother not named.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:15 GMT (UK) »
They spell Martin's surname Powlam (underlined L) and Karl Powham (underlined H)

Recorded under both spellings...

POWHAN MARTIN 64 - 1950 - 573/1 364 Paisley

POWLAM MARTIN 64 - 1950 - 573/1 364 Paisley

Annie

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:18 GMT (UK) »
In the Scottish record there are fishermen and then there are seaman... the latter being military in nature,

Do you think that is the case with Karl Powlam?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure any I've found as 'Seaman' have been either RN or MN otherwise as you say 'Fisherman'.

Annie