Author Topic: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #45 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I did not recall us discussing a Julia Powlam but I see she was present and marked as daughter. Not in the GRO because she was born in Paisley Scotland 1918...

JULIA POWLAM

F
573/1 1471
Paisley
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to trace my Great Grandfather before he appeared in UK 1909
« Reply #46 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes Martin was listed as a sailor on his marriage certificate and his father a seaman.

Julia was his daughter she moved to New York after Martin and Kate died and she died there. My Gran had gone out to join her and they were working for the church.

Annie yes I found those names as you say ones to keep in mind should I get any further information.

Would anyone know if when my DNA results come in they would help with this?

Thank you

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:38 GMT (UK) »
When you look at those names it seems like Hinnon/Hinson or similar and Jamieson ... but when you look close its not so clear-cut. It could be other. We do have a hand-writing deciphering department here at this amazing site..

There is no Judy Jamieson on the SP record ...it's possible that Thomas Brown and Judy are from Ireland.

Sarah do you know for sure that name is Jamieson?
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know if when my DNA results come in they would help with this?

Nobody can answer to that as it all depends on others who've done the test.

If you've tested with ancestry you can also upload to other sites but if you've tested elsewhere you can't upload to ancestry.

However, you may be lucky to find out a bit on ethnicity but again I believe it's all down to who else has tested?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 26 March 21 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see. I’ve done the test through ancestry and now just patiently (impatiently) waiting on results

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 26 March 21 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I asked the hand-writing gods for judgement on those maiden names.   ;D

Will report back.

Back already with a repose from the hand-writing deciphering volunteer department here!

Early analysis:

Hinnon

Jennion

Both names that occur a little wee bit in Scotland, another wee bit in Ireland but mostly by volume in England. Preliminary searches for a Judith/Judy Jennion have come up empty for me so far.

This is early in the analysis ... either or both could turn out to be other.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 26 March 21 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: MonicaL

Terence is also AWOL for 1871:

Possibly because he had 'done a runner'  in February 1871.

According to various  newspapers of timescale, a Terence M'Ilduff, of the Depot, Coatbridge, 
"belted", and has not been heard of since

He had apparently returned home in the early hours from a drinking bout and his wife pointed out the foolishness of his conduct. He didn't relish this advice and put her out of the house then locked it. He then proceeded to smash every piece of furniture and put the fragments on the fire.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 26 March 21 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Some police forces still hold copies of Aliens Registers, which commencd in 1914. Whilst there is no indication if any of the registers survive for North Yorkshire, it looks as if North Yorkshire police records are not held by the police and instead are held as follows, and so it might be worth conacting them to ask (assuming, but you would need to check, it also included aliens who had arrived before 1914):

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 26 March 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum oh wow!! Should i be horrified or amused  ??? ;D

He was back in the household in 1891 and was a witness at the wedding of Martin Powlam and Kate McDuff in 1909