Author Topic: George Burke  (Read 1709 times)

Offline fordson105

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Burke
« on: Thursday 25 March 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandfather George Burke b 1857 , New Ross,  Wexford was the some of William Burke and Ellen Doherty.
Seeking information about the family according to the Marriage certificate of George he was a Mariner,  married Ellen Mahony in Newcastle N.S.W in 1885.
I have found the marriage of William and Ellen in Ferns, Wexford in 1856 but unable to trace any further information about them or George.
George Burke seems to disappear from records after the birth of my great grandmother Mary Ellen in 1887 at the benevolent asylum in Newcastle N.S.W

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Burke
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 21 04:05 GMT (UK) »

BDM NSW
6457/1885 BURKE  George   marr.      MAHONY   Ellen    @  Newcastle

Can you please list all the information on this certificate. Include everything please

Offline fordson105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 March 21 05:29 GMT (UK) »
I have attached a copy of marriage certificate as we received it

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 02:14 BST (UK) »
My Great grandfather George Burke b 1857 , New Ross,  Wexford was the some of William Burke and Ellen Doherty.
Seeking information about the family according to the Marriage certificate of George he was a Mariner,  married Ellen Mahony in Newcastle N.S.W in 1885.
I have found the marriage of William and Ellen in Ferns, Wexford in 1856 but unable to trace any further information about them or George.

That you have the correct years for George's birth, 1857, not 1861, as suggested by the Australian record, and also the correct year for William's marriage (1856), suggests you have both these records.

But:
- William & Eleanor were married in 1856 in New Ross, not Ferns.
- Notation seems to be that he was from Waterford.
- George, born 1857, appears to be the only child for William & Eleanor baptized in New Ross.
- A William Burke is shown living in Brennan's Lane, New Ross in 1851 Valuation Office records, and also in 1853 Griffith's valuation.
- Death of a William Burke, aged 55, registered in New Ross in 1865. You will need to apply for a copy.
- Many baptisms with William Burke in New Ross registers. Eleanor might be second marriage.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
To look earlier:

- There is one relevant baptism of a William Burke in New Ross, in 1829. Illegitimate. Of course, he can't be the fellow who died there in 1865. Also, not sure how relevant, given "Waterford" notation on the 1856 marriage.
- There are 4 relevant Eleanor Doherty baptisms in New Ross, in 1820, 1828, 1829, and 1839. Last one may be too late.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline fordson105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 04:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wexford, i find Irish records so hard to find and work out, is there a way to find out if this hint of ancestry is my great grandfather George or another person of the same name.
There's a reference to a George Burke in Ireland, Petty sessions Court Registers 1818 to 1919.
Dated 10th October 1914 in Newtonberry, Wexford as a witness on a Noxious Weed case being in Australia I'm not sure how to access them if they are available

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 04:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wexford, i find Irish records so hard to find and work out, is there a way to find out if this hint of ancestry is my great grandfather George or another person of the same name.
There's a reference to a George Burke in Ireland, Petty sessions Court Registers 1818 to 1919.
Dated 10th October 1914 in Newtonberry, Wexford as a witness on a Noxious Weed case being in Australia I'm not sure how to access them if they are available

Sorry, which "hint of ancestry"? - The parents' names on the 1857 baptism in New Ross match with the names on George's Australian marriage registration, as does the place, so surely they are correct.

The Ancestry index entry for the 1914 court case in Newtownbarry does not mention Australia. Where do you see that?

Offline fordson105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 05:07 BST (UK) »
On a search thru ancestry trying to trace George's movements.
As no records apart from the birth certificates mention George, I was wondering if he returned to Ireland as his daughter Mary Ellen was born in 1887 in the benevolent asylum in Newcastle N.S.W. in 1887, a hospital for destitute woman and children. Ran a search to see if I could find any trace of a George Burke and this came up as I haven't been able to find any emigration records for George that I have been able to find apart from a crew list on a ship called Kentish tar that docked regularly in Newcastle around the time, this ship is British registered with a George Burke as a crew member. Ran thru ancestry on legal and court proceedings bought this hint, the crews came from the same search style but choosing crew lists as he is listed as a Mariner on his marriage certificate

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 05:20 BST (UK) »
On a search thru ancestry trying to trace George's movements.
As no records apart from the birth certificates mention George, I was wondering if he returned to Ireland as his daughter Mary Ellen was born in 1887 in the benevolent asylum in Newcastle N.S.W. in 1887, a hospital for destitute woman and children. Ran a search to see if I could find any trace of a George Burke and this came up as I haven't been able to find any emigration records for George that I have been able to find apart from a crew list on a ship called Kentish tar that docked regularly in Newcastle around the time, this ship is British registered with a George Burke as a crew member. Ran thru ancestry on legal and court proceedings bought this hint, the crews came from the same search style but choosing crew lists as he is listed as a Mariner on his marriage certificate

Hints on Ancestry are rubbish more often than not. Why would your George be in Bunclody in 1914?
Why not any of the other places a Goerge Burke turns up in the Petty Session records? (dozens).

How complete are Australian death records for the period in question? - I have been told not so much, when trying to trace some relatives there.

The 1911 census shows no George Burke, born Co. Wexford. There is one in the 1901 census, but much older than your George.