Author Topic: Find a grave advice please  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Find a grave advice please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 March 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Another thought, you don't have to sign up as a Photo Volunteer in order to fulfil requests but if you do you can get emails for requests in your area. You won't get emails for all the requests near you, and you won't be the only person getting them, so it's not like an email is a personal request to you (a common misconception).
I elected not to get the emails. I do all my work in one cemetery so I just look at the cemetery page regularly to see if there are any new requests. When it's possible to travel to other cemeteries again I can check their requests when planning my visit.
If you do say Yes to the Photo Volunteer question you have to give a location but it doesn't have to be your home location. I stuck the map pin in the cemetery as my home location. Well I do spend a lot of time there so it feels like home.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your thoughts.
My thoughts were that I would do it like you Enumerated and choose one or two from the list.
I don’t really want to get constant emails asking as I would be feel pressured to do it.

My OH and I have an interest in old cemeteries and sometimes go to different parts of town for a wanders my idea was that I could look for a request on the board for which ever one I was going to.

Thanks for your and everyone else’s help.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
I find the transcribe feature too tricky on a mobile phone so I don't use it.

I don't make a habit of looking at graveyards, but I have been lucky enough to find some online photos of Irish gravestones.  Your mention of a transcribe feature may explain some errors in transcribed dates, which have revealed discrepancies of a decade when compared with online death records.  Lichen growth on the stone showed how this has happened; transcription software might be able to correct a misread name, but I doubt it would (or should) attempt to correct a date.

So might I urge any keen cemetery searchers to do all they can to verify what their devices transcribe for them ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young