Author Topic: Help to work this out please  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help to work this out please
« on: Monday 29 August 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Experts

I have the following information from this persons son. Can you help me sort it out please?

Edward Duffy Baptised 1893 in Dublin and stayed there until 1948 when he moved to England.

'Joined the Royal Warwickshire regiment and served in India before 1st world war broke out.
Also in the Dardenelles
Marched from Bazara to Bagdad
Fought in France (recieved Mons medal)'

The military still confuses me. How can you join the Warwickshire regiment when you live in Dublin?
What campaigns are they talking about above?
What is a Mons medal?

Thanks

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Help to work this out please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

There's no accounting which regiments some people joined,although some regiments do recruit in specific areas.

As regards your other queries, have a look at the following sites,not necessarily in the order of your questions....

www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/1914star.htm
www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Barracks/2911/b/aussie03.html
www.1914-1918.net/warwicks.htm
www.regiments.org/wars/ww1/mesopotam.htm

You can also search for the history of the regiment on the last url.

Best of luck...... :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 05 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks I'll have a go.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
hiya jane,you have got me confused,have you got anything that says he was in the warwickshire regt,the 2nd battalion was in malta before the war,then returned to england,the 1st battalion was stationed in england,if edward went to the dardanelles then he must have been in a territorial battalion,but to have fought at mons,he would have been in a regular army battalion,the mons medal is a term used to describe the 1914 star,is your info based on family talk passed down over the years,it sounds wrong,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack

I knew you would help. I have copied exactly what his son and grandaughter wrote down. I will contact them again. Obviously its a long time ago and the son is now 80.

Can you join the Royal Warwickshire if you live in Dublin? It confuses me as I would have thought he would join an Irish regiment if he was over there. How does it work? I know this is so basic but I haven't got a clue. I never understood how my other rellies were Northumberlands when they lived in Derbyshire.

Thanks

Jane

Offline C P Rayson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

A thing to consider is that he didn't join the Warwickshire  regiment but "served" with them. I have a couple of instances where troops have been transferred to other regiments to make up the numbers or on promotion

Happy hunting

Chris
Rayson, Anywhere

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
hiya jane,the regts moved around britain on different postings,one year they could be in barracks at aldershot and the year after in dublin,or the recruiting sergeant in his town could have been in the warwickshires,many join out of tradition,their fathers,g/fathers or uncles may have served with a regt and they have done the same,unlike one bloke i was researching,he joined the manchester regt,and he was in NEW YORK,for some irish folk,it wasnt easy to join a irish regt because of the religeous divide,thats why many men joined english regts,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
sorry jane i forgot,the campaigns are those in ww1 in mesopotamia[now iraq]where we were fighting the turks,it should read basra to baghdad,mack